Idea for Indirect Grilling on Q

J Johnson

I have seen the posts on using folded over aluminum foil and a rack for indirect cooking, but was curious what others thought of this idea....
I am thinking of buying a toaster oven pizza stone like the one at the below link, and wrapping it in aluminum foil to keep it clean.
Toaster Oven Pizza Stone
Also, buying a rack like the one at the below link.
Toaster Oven Broiler Rack
I think I could sear steaks and then when ready, place the wrapped stone and rack on the grill for indirect grilling. I would think the stone would absorb the heat rather than allowing it to pass thru to the rack. Of course, once the stone is completely warmed up, it would probably begin radiating the heat, but hopefully I would be done by then anyway.
You might even be able to flip the pan that comes with the rack upside down and put it on top of the stone with the rack on the very top to provide more distance/insulation from the heat source.
Just curious if anyone has tried this or has theories on how well it would work.

Hey J
Welcome to the forum

All ideas work until they fail.

The idea of indirect cooking on the Q or any other BBQ with a hood is to use convection air without a direct heat source (gas flame or charcoal) on the food. The best way is to have a reflective surface between the food and the heat source. The use of a doubled over sheet of foil in lieu of a single sheet is that there is a gap (albeit small) between the layers of foil which allows some cooling air to flow and reduce the heat transference You then require some type of rack to sit above the barrier to allow the convection air to flow all around the food and cook it. A rack is best as it has plenty of air gaps between the wire/rods to allow the juices/fat to escape and stop the food from stewing in its own juices.

There are many different methods of acheiving this, the rack and foil method is the one we use when demonstrating the Q, as Weber Australia sell the trivet anmd have it in their Australian Weber Q Cookbook. I sometimes use a cake cooling rack sitting on top of a foil trayor a roasting or rib rack in a foil tray silling ontop of a doubled over sheet of foil. It detends on what you are cooking and what you have at hand. As I said all ideas work until they fail. If you understand the basics and what the elements that you need are then you are ready to go.
I use the foil and rack (trivet) method the most as I put a couple of holes in the centre of the foil to let the juices drip out so they dont pool on the foil and burn.

I noted that you have a Genesis, You can also use these principles on the Genesis. I have cooked 5 chicens indirect on the Genesis using this principle.

Hope this explanation makes sense

Cheers

Back