Jumbo Joe - 1st grill experience

Bob L

TVWBB Super Fan
Sorry, I forgot to take pictures!

Recently I purchased a Jumbo Joe in Florida, for $10. I "smuggled" it up to NJ in a suitcase (purchased for 2$). The best part, due to some confusion, or I liked to think the love of BBQ from the baggage handled, I was not charged the extra $25 baggage fee. Well, I knew about the grill limitation for high sear, but since I have a few other grills, I was not worried. What really amazed me was that the bolts came apart with ease, I would never believe that the grill was over 15 years old.

Well I cooked on it the other day: pork chops, baked potatoes and carrots. My thoughts:

18" is perfect for a dinner for 2 people,
Grill temperatures were good, I was able to maintain a 300-325 easily
I originally bought it for camping, but I can see me using it at home.

If I did not have a 22" OTG, I would serious think about getting a 18" OTG.

I've had two Jumbo Joes / SJP's. On one, I did the one touch mod and gave it to my brother. On the other, I did the Smokey Joe Silver-type bottom vent mod with a vent handle and took it to my Dad's house.

I've cooked on the one at my Dad's twice and I've really enjoyed it. You're right - if you're cooking for two, the 18" is perfect and doesn't take up much room on the patio or carport.

Glad you are enjoying your Joe.

Pat

Yes, 18" is almost too perfect for 2 people. I am tempted to get somebody to trade my 22 OTG for an 18" OTG. However the grill was a wedding present so I think I better keep it!

Back