Cooking chicken on a Q100

Pete D.

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone

I just got a Q100 and have found that it's great for steaks and hamburgers. I've never spent a lot of time grilling chicken, but I'd like to give it a try. What are the best techniques for grilling chicken on the Q100? Can you just turn down the dial, or do you need to do the indirect thing with aluminum foil and a rack? BTW, my favorite cut are thighs, and when I bake them in an oven, I leave the skin on and bone in.

Thanks!

not sure what you want to do but i cook thighs on my q220 a lot, directly on the grates. yes, you will have to turn the flame down just a little.

Thanks George. I guess I'm just looking for a general method of cooking chicken on the Q. Could you tell me about how far do you turn the temperature setting down, and how long do you cook the thighs?

Thanks-

right now i just tend to turn it down until i think its what i want. you really don't turn it down that much and the marks are not that percise. thighs on mine are usually cooked about ten min a side. but it does vary. hey, thats the fun of it, you get a great excuse to cook more and experiment.

I cook chicken halves on my Q320 over direct low heat. I adjust the center and outer burner until I get 350-375 on the temp gauge. It usually ends up being about 2 hash marks up from low on the dial. I run them bone side down for 20 minutes then skin side down for 20, then maybe 15 or 20 more )flipping every 10) depending on when I get 165 in the breast or 180 in the thigh.

Pete, I did Bryan's Roadside chicken on my Q220 on Friday evening,all 4lbs of wings and it was fantastic....only me & the mrs and we ate the lot....yeah yeah i know..we're greedy
icon_biggrin.gif

The Q100 is a great little grill, i had one before the Q220 and it worked hard for me for over 3 yrs.

Most important thing to do if you are grilling chicken peices is oil the grill bars, then ensure that the grill had preheated for around 10 minutes,then turn the dial 2 strokes below Hi and that is your grilling "sweet spot" and make sure theres something moist on the chicken skin like oil or some sugarless marinade and then toss it on the grill and turn every 2 minutes.
Ensure you keep basting the chicken everytime just before you're going to turn them over.
I like the Roadside chicken recipe for basting marinades because it excites the flames a bit and give a nice charr on the skin without actually burning it.Use a bit of oil in your baste to give the skin it's crispness.

Cheers

Davo

Came up with a pretty good way of cooking chicken on my Q100 without burning it. Start by putting it directly on the grill, skin side down to get some browning going. Once it has good color, remove and place a piece of tinfoil on the grill. On top of the foil, I use a cake rack with the chicken placed on the rack. The foil keeps any grease drips from flairing up. With the fire turned low and the lid closed, continue cooking the chicken till done. If you want, toward the end, place the chicken back directly on the grill for some final crisping.
It works for me and lets the wife and I enjoy some good chicken while camping.

Back