ABT's on Smokey Joe Tips

GEORGE BUCHANAN

Going to a Bluegrass Festival in a few weeks. I'll show up with a finished butt but want to cook something on site, too and seems like all I'll be able to manage to lug along is my trusty Smokey Joe. Thought ABT's are my best bet. How many can I figure will fit and any tips?

Just did 50 last weekend, but did take two batches. Banked the lit coals on one side (3/4 chimney worth). Placed ABT's as many as I could fit (probably 25) on the indirect side. Allow the bacon to render a bit and then start moving ABT's over direct and then add new uncooked to the now vacant indirect side. Watch carefully for flareups. When you take off the lid it will start flaring. Close lid to extinguish. Keep turning those on the direct side until finished and move back to the indirect side in a pile replacing those with the recently added ones. I ended up doing about 40 at one crack and then put the other 10 on while everyone was chowing down.

Dan

Thanks! That'll keep me hopping--Sounds like fun! I think I'll only need about 25 so sounds possible--I'll try a little practice run soon.

Back