Q -Ignition systems

On the Q-100, Weber advertises: "Push button ignition" ...on the Q-200: "Electronic ignition". I just returned from Home Depot and noticed that difference in the literature; as well as the physical appearence of the igniter apparatus on each grill just behind the red button.. hmmm
icon_confused.gif
Anyone smart on this subject? I can't imagine they're much different..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
On the Q-100, Weber advertises: "Push button ignition" ...on the Q-200: "Electronic ignition". I just returned from Home Depot and noticed that difference in the literature; as well as the physical appearence of the igniter apparatus on each grill just behind the red button.. hmmm
icon_confused.gif
Anyone smart on this subject? I can't imagine they're much different.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A small diameter red button indicates Piezio ignition, (You have to push each time you want a spark). A larger diameter button indicated electronic ignition (there is a AAA battery fitted inside the button. By depressing the button you will get continious spark pulses until you release the button. Battery will generally last 12 months to 2 years depending on useage. - Only use good quality batteries. I don't know if you have different retailers with access to different models in the USA.

Cheers

I'm with you Ron, I don't see the advantage of a more complicated system. Considering I hit the Piezo 2 times--at most--to light the grill; I don't see the 'push button' being much of a 'labor savings' :)

The new button does look 'neat', however
icon_biggrin.gif

Kevin H.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Hoober:
I hit the Piezo 2 times--at most--to light the grill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Is this the norm? I find myself pressing the button on my Q300 at least 6 times, and usually about a dozen times before it ignites.

One time, a while ago, I was unable to get it to ignite at all, and had to resort to a cigarette lighter in the hole near the igniter.

Is my igniter dodgy?

I lite my Q 100 with the lid open and pause momentarily after turning the gas on, letting the gas get to the burner, then mash the igniter 1 or 2 times, voila!
icon_cool.gif
...the point being made earlier was that in the event of battery failure on the electronic ignition equipped models, one could mash the button all day with no effect....
icon_mad.gif
icon_wink.gif
...if you're certain you paused long enough to get gas to the burner, Yes ...it could be dodgy
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arn K:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Hoober:
I hit the Piezo 2 times--at most--to light the grill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Is this the norm? I find myself pressing the button on my Q300 at least 6 times, and usually about a dozen times before it ignites.

One time, a while ago, I was unable to get it to ignite at all, and had to resort to a cigarette lighter in the hole near the igniter.

Is my igniter dodgy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arn
report it to Weber CS there is a two year warranty on the Peizo.

One of the faults that does occur is the little box that sits over the Peizo ignitor which traps some gas gets bent or the little triangular flap at the front gets bent. Have a look at these and re-adjust if required and try again.

Cheers

Back