What other stuff do I need?

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
OK so got the WSM. What are the next 3 or 4 things I need besides tongs and charcoal? I'm searching the board and seeing things like bricks, oil drip pans etc.

Thanks in advance from this newb.

Meat and whisky!
icon_wink.gif

I'm sure there's a ton of stuff you could get (and I'm sure I will, much to my wife's dissapointment). I've found the weber chimney and a good pair of gloves have been really helpful. And I've always had a good, sharp knife.

Enjoy!

I try to keep things on the cheap. But I think you could use: rubber gloves, leather gloves (for handling hot stuff), remote probe thermometer (like the ET-73), foil-wrapped brick or terracotta saucer, disposable drip pans, heavy duty aluminum foil, chimney starter, and a good wind-break (you can surround you WSM with garbage cans, whatever works). Most of that you probably have laying around the house anyway... Good luck!

I think Gary has a good list for the minimalist (which I am). I think you could do okay without the ET-73 (I don't use mine any more). I think you need a drip pan or something to go underneath your wsm (I have the large oil drip pan).

To answer your question. As Gary said, the leather gloves are for handling the hot items associated with lighting the charcoal and such. The rubber (water proof PVC) gloves are for handling the meat. It's a lot easier to pick up a pork butt with your hands than anything else I've ever used. You just need some barrier from the heat and something that won't allow moisture to penetrate.

In the six months since my addiction began I now own: a spice mill, a grinder attachment for my mixer, a garage full of coupon charcoal, bear paws, a grate lifter, pizza pans for almonds, two different foodsavers, rib racks, a couple holders for beer cans, a slicer, 6 or 7 different kinds of dried chiles, a cooler that smells like smoked meat, 3 distinct piles of wood, an ax, a cookbook, 15 (or so) new bottles of spices and probably a bunch of other stuff my lovely bride would be happy to point out.

Buy it all... you'll use it.

Have fun!

Ron

Let's see. I would go for a comfy lawn chair or hammock and a decent size cooler to hold the beer.

Seriously though, I'm assuming that you have a chimney. I would lay into a good supply of smoke wood of various types.

Then it's only a matter of learning your WSM. Which wood, rubs, sauces, etc. you like.

The rest of the stuff you'll figure out as you go.

Russ

Kinda depends on your style. In essentials I'd list:

Roasts/PP/Briskets: meat probe a must (whether remote or not is personal preference).

Ribs: brush/mop (or papertowels) for the glaze.

Chicken: kitchen scissors, beer can holders

Generic kitchen stuff: Lots of Paper Towels, HD foil, quarter sheet pans.

Comfort: side table to put stuff on, chair, cooler

Everything else is bonus.

ok well here are a few things I wouldn't want to be without that make things easier if I were starting out.

Chimney starter

Maverick et-73 thermometer.
This is simply a must have for me. It beeps and tells you when the pit runs hot or cold and its remote so you can have it inside. It also has a food probe to tell you what temp the food is at in your cook (but you don't have to use that one if you are doing Rib's say).

This is an inexpensive reliable waterresistent piece (though I still try not to let it get exposed to downpours-though it has survived more than a few)

Two eyelets from the BBQ Guru to run the cables for the ET-73. (or as you grow in this hobby the cables of an automatic temprature control system like a digi-Q II) The eyelets replace two o the top bracket screws and you can run the cables through them or the meat probe and the Pit temprature probe. Your cables will last much longer because they are nto getting crimped by the weight of the hood of the smoker.

From here a choice of woods, I like to have on hand Oak, Cherry , Maple, Pecan, Apple chunks.

You can order them by the box and they will even split the box into sections to give you some variety.

Digital meat thermometer. The gold standard here is a thermapen but since your starting you can go easy on your pocketbook and get a Taylor for $10-15 at targetor other inexpensive. If you want to go up a notch in quality chedck out the March 2010 Cooks illustrated which does a review and rating of several in the $30 and down range that are decent.

Quality Spices. Ordering from the spice house in Milwaukee gives you really fresh spices that will have a positive impact on your finished product and are not overpriced. Order once and you'll be amazxed at the difference in the freshness and taste difference this makes.

Boy one can keep going but thats where i would start.

Welcome to the addiction...err i mean club. Ask away if you have more questions!!!

In the need category I would only say a probe for the internal meet temp of bigger pieces of meat because you already have the therm in the lid.

That being said, being someone that does not get to smoke very often, and I could only have one thing other than the true basics, it would be the ET-73.

Kevin -

One of the items I use the most are the insulated rubber gloves. You can get a pair for $10 at Texasbbqrub.com. It sure makes it easy to pick up a hot greasy brisket without burning the digits.

I'm still pretty new as well. The things I bought are:
Weber chimney
Silicone gloves - can handle heat up to 450F if needed
Smoke wood - I only had hickory to start because it was available at HD.
I already had a digital thermometer.
I used the thermometer my first several cooks, but found after a few cooks that going with feel was definitely better. Now, I only find it useful for chicken - I'm still nervous about making sure its done....

Other than those, just enjoy it. You're first time you may find that you're overly worried about every little thing. Just have a few drinks, enjoy the smells and let the WSM do its thing.

****...I think I'm gonna have to do a smoke this weekend now....

I have had my WSM 18 for a couple months and have about 4 smokes under my belt. I agree with several here on a Chimney Starter (Minion Method will quickly become your friend), gloves for handling of hot meat, and a good meat thermometer.

I quickly realized I needed a good paring knife for trimming of fat since the steak knifes I had couldn't slice butter. I quickly invested in a paring knife and a 12 inch Chefs Knife for the cutting of brisket, etc.

Chris,these are all great ideas. Get what you need as you need them. Keep them organized. A tote or large tool box works well. Nothing worse than having to search for something RIGHT when you need it. Have fun with the WSM and remember,no pics,it didn't happen!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Keep them organized. A tote or large tool box works well. Nothing worse than having to search for something RIGHT when you need it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree more. Here's a thread I started last year discussing a grilling toolbox if you want to take a look.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...=905106352#905106352

Back