Cracked Stone Sheet on Grill

Gene_N

TVWBB Fan
I tried something different and cracked my Pampered Chef flat stone sheet on my gasser earlier today while laying down 2 room temperature NY Strips :(

i-hHFLgKG-L.jpg

I preheated the grill using the 2 outside burners to 450 with the stone right in the middle of the grill area. I laid down the first strip no problem then added the second and CRACK!!! I picked up the steaks with my tongs and placed back on the plate then removed the cracked pieces and placed them on the brick patio to cool down. I then reheated the grill, cooked the strips on the grates then served dinner to my kids.

I'm bummed and out $31. It served me well for 2 yrs. I used it last week to cook salmon patties and a few days ago to bake cod steaks albeit at a cooler 375-400 degrees.

No more stones on grill with high heat.

We have a Pampered Chef stone that's got to be at least ten years old. I use it in the oven for bread (usually around 425) and for pizza at at 550F. Never had an issue. I think your cracking was caused by the temp differential and not the 450 degree temps. Regardless, sorry to see you've lost a cooking tool.

Hey bud I just showed this to a friend who is a Pampered Chef salesperson and she says it is 100% under warranty. The kicker is she said they usually ask for you to return it in the original box. That's b.s. but you can try. Good luck.

Oh on a side note she said to tell them that you think their was an air pocket in the stone. Because she said any stone that has even the smallest air pocket takes in water when you clean it. ..Then it explodes when the water becomes superheated and the steam can't escape.

Too bad, warranty is definitely worth a shot and I bet you will be successful. I thought about getting a cast iron griddle for the grill to do what your doing.

Hey bud I just showed this to a friend who is a Pampered Chef salesperson and she says it is 100% under warranty. The kicker is she said they usually ask for you to return it in the original box. That's b.s. but you can try. Good luck.

Really? I need to dig it out of the trash.... I hope it did not crack more when I dropped it in there.

Sorry to hear about that Gene. That was a really nicely seasoned stone and a loss for sure. Maybe it'll be covered by warranty.

I think it cracked due to the moisture in the steaks. I had one break like that using some very wet dough and I'd used that stone for a good ten years. But I'm sure in my case it was the moisture.

Sorry to hear about that Gene. That was a really nicely seasoned stone and a loss for sure. Maybe it'll be covered by warranty.

I think it cracked due to the moisture in the steaks. I had one break like that using some very wet dough and I'd used that stone for a good ten years. But I'm sure in my case it was the moisture.

I did scrub and rinse off some loose ash, wiped it dry then pre-heated it. I got distracted so it was heating for at least 12-15 mins before I placed the steaks on it. I pulled it out of the trash and read their website for warranty. I could not find the "L" symbol on the back of the stone. I sent a message to customer service. We'll see what happens.

You can't put cold or room temp food on a hot stone, this will happen every time. You have to put the food and stone on at the same time or preheat your food too. Reverse sear.
My brother heated his grill with a stone on it then trough a pizza on it and 30 sec later, pow! In pieces it was. Stones cant't handle the temp difference.

Hearing of tales of broken stones lead me to believe my pizza stone will have a limited life. When it goes (if it goes), I'll be replacing it with a Lodge Cast Iron Pizza Pan.

Just a thought...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I bought a "FibraMent stone" from these folks in 2011 and while it's expensive, it's held up just fine. The only damage is from when I left it in a rented camper and had to have it mailed back to me. After going through a few other stones that cracked when I simply opened the lid, I bit the bullet and will buy another one if I ever drop this one.

http://www.breadtopia.com/store/pizza-stones.html

I use my WSM charcoal ring in my kettle and pour lit charcoal around the outside. I give it 30-40 minutes to warm up and start cooking. We put doctored up frozen pizza on the hot stone and have done 5 or 6 in a row. If it was going to crack from thermal shock, that should have done it.

Back