The Mav - a first timers review

Miguel M

TVWBB Pro
I'm a semi-proud new owner of the Maverick ET-73. Before I hit click on Amazon I read all of the reviews looking for any short comings. I quickly realized that it doesn't have a great range, but I thought that I wouldn't be affected because my 26.75" is right outside my kitchen. Ooh, how I was wrong! My kettle is 10 feet from where I put the receiver and it can't keep a signal...looks like I'll be doing the mod soon. Despite that, I'd buy it again cuz it's very accurate. Anyway, just wanted to put a review out there.

I'm always surprised when people have zero range with their et73. Mine gives me a forty foot range, wakes me up as needed when asleep for those overnights... give Maverick a call-- I think you deserve a replacement. You might want to try new batteries too. If the ones that come with it are old, they might not be up to snuff.

Well I'm lucky I guess? I have an older house (wood lathe/plaster walls) and I've used the same ET73 for a number of years without problems AFA being able to read temps reliably with the remote even up on the 3rd floor on side of the house opposite the cooker.

I have had weak batteries create problems, but that's to be expected IMHO.

The optional probes for sale in the paperwork included are worth the extra $$. Longer and more heavy duty. Might might want to consider them at some point.

I've got 2 brand new ones still in the box waiting for the next smoke. I thought they were a good price on amazon and a definate upgrage from my current non remote single probe setups. Do you think this was a waste or with a little love ill be able to do this mythical monitor temps from my bed on overnighters and from my pocket during parties.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Silverman:
I did the external antenna mod several years ago. Huge difference 100ft. range easily, plus through walls etc.

Al </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

??Linky??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Silverman:
I did the external antenna mod several years ago. Huge difference 100ft. range easily, plus through walls etc.

Al </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

??Linky?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>mod

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josef Gangwish:
I've got 2 brand new ones still in the box waiting for the next smoke. I thought they were a good price on amazon and a definate upgrage from my current non remote single probe setups. Do you think this was a waste or with a little love ill be able to do this mythical monitor temps from my bed on overnighters and from my pocket during parties. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a waste, that's exactly how I've used mine!
Right on the nightstand when I've done overnights.

Used the new Mav's and i love them, and i love the wsm that it maintains temp like a champ. Did some pork shoulder and the remote worked great from about 40 feet away on the second floor. Great investment.

I am new to smoking, and bought the e73 because that is was everyone seemed to be recommending....and it works fine, but has some serious design flaws. Starting with having to open the back to turn it on or to sync it with the receiver. Distance is ok, but sometimes looses sync and will not reacquire. I would love to find one a little more user friendly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miguel M:
Despite that, I'd buy it again cuz it's very accurate. Anyway, just wanted to put a review out there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must have gotten a very good one. The third time I used mine I noticed the 2 sensors were 15* different at room temp!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drew c:
Starting with having to open the back to turn it on or to sync it with the receiver. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drew, the purpose of switch behind the door is to keep the unit water/moisture resistant.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Well I'm lucky I guess? I have an older house (wood lathe/plaster walls) and I've used the same ET73 for a number of years without problems AFA being able to read temps reliably with the remote even up on the 3rd floor on side of the house opposite the cooker.

I have had weak batteries create problems, but that's to be expected IMHO.

The optional probes for sale in the paperwork included are worth the extra $$. Longer and more heavy duty. Might might want to consider them at some point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray, How much were those optional probes?

I'm considering the new Maverick ET-732 (that's ET-73 "the Second") or the ThermoWorks TW8090 -- probes for the latter are $30 - 40.

Thanks, Rich

Back