Knife rolls or hard cases

Lance

TVWBB Super Fan
I see a lot of discussion about what knives to buy but not much on transporting knives in cases or rolls. Does anyone have a favorite and if so, why? I currently have a knife roll that has stiff backing that folds not rolls. I do wonder about the blade edges touching during transport. The roll is convenient and was pretty cheap about $15. I occasionally have to transport my knives for a cook or an office party. Any thoughts?
Lance

I like the hard case since I lucked out and "found" one at a yard sale several years ago. It cost 2 bucks and is the size of a regular briefcase but there is a well known "culinary school" logo on it. Makes me look like a pro when I go to catering events and tailgates. Good conversational piece! LOL

joe

I use a knife roll but have plastic guards on all my edges. They are fairly cheap, and worth the few dollars. Plus you can make sure they have the guards on them when they are out so random people wont toss them in the sink.

an even cheaper alternative would be to fold cardboard over the edges.

J,
I think that I have seen your knife guards in another thread about magnetic knife bars. I think I will go that route. I have never seen a knife case at a garage sale but I hope that I do.
Lance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think that I have seen your knife guards in another thread about magnetic knife bars. I think I will go that route. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

here's a link I recently found through the book Edge in the Kitchen. I bookmarked it because its the first place I've found that has the 14" edge guard that I need for my slicer.

I use a hard case. I keep knives in a case I travel with and others at home. I rotate them. I like hard cases because I can carry more knives and, especially garnishing tools, peeler(s), corkscrew, mini-graters, a Microplane or two, a Thermapen and so forth. These I leave in the case. I use this one.

Kevin,
I looked at the case you linked to and noticed the black canvas case the website suggested. I have almost that exact one just not made by Victorinox. I may upgrade to a hard case when I travel more frequently with my knives.
Lance

Back