New WSM 2 Gal Water Pain: Foil

Tom Hubbard

Just got the new WSM and it has a 2 gal water pan, so foiling with 18" hd foil doesn't work. Anyone know where to get 24" foil that isn't restaurant quality (and therefore $$$$$)?

I just overlapped w/ the 18" stuff. My wrapped flower pot/saucer catches what my drip pan doesn't. But then again, I've only had one smoke w/ a 2.5# tri-tip. Not much to render.

i dont foil my pan. but if i did i would lay out three sheets of foil and fold the edges together to make one big sheet then line with that. no real liquids will leak through the folded sections.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Curious why you don't foil? Do you clean the pan?

I have read a lot of people say to foil, but at the end of the day do I really care if the pan has gunk stuck to it?

Originally posted by Tom Hubbard:
Thanks.

Follow-up: Curious why you don't foil? Do you clean the pan?

I have read a lot of people say to foil, but at the end of the day do I really care if the pan has gunk stuck to it?

cuz i am lazy and dont think it really matters if the pan has a crust in it or not. that crust is where the flavour lives!! or at least the good smells. i use mine at elast once a week or so. this weekend is the first time i havent used it since the first of the year.

i have come to think of the pan as a drip catcher more than anything else.

it just comes down to spending the time either wiping the pan out at some point or using foil and removing it and replacing the foil at some point. for me wiping the pan is less work. your free to do as you wish
icon_smile.gif

I am still fairly new so take what I have worth a grain of salt. But, I do not foil the pan either. The way I see it, it is a water/drip pan, not a shinny car hubcap. Plus, it sits right on top of the coals so I can not see how anything bad could possibly grow on it
icon_smile.gif
I dump the contents of the pan, clean out the inside and then stick it back in the smoker.

I just foil the bottom. I don't care about the inside becasue that is easy to clean when using water. The bottom is a pain to clean and I know that it doesn't matter but I like it to look clean
icon_cool.gif

Too each is own I say
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Vinny G
WSM 18, Weber 1983 22.5 Kettle

Back