It's official...SMOKE DAY has begun!

justin.williams

TVWBB Super Fan
Happy smoke day all!
Well it's just after 1:00AM and I got the WSM going for smoke day! what could be under the lid? I'll save you the suspense...it's a brisket!

I'm pretty excited, 1st brisket and 1st overnight cook. I've also got some ribs in the fridge, and told my friends to bring whatever they want and I'll smoke it! So we'll see what else arrives tomorrow.

Sorry not pre-smoker brisket pics, but my wife is asleep with the better camera too. As my first one I wanted to keep it simple: whole packer about 10 pounds pre-trimmed, seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning, and water in the pan. Shooting for around 250-275* figure about 6 hours unwrapped, about 6 wrapped or until tender. Let it cool and rest for a couple of hours, might even try to make some burnt ends.

Now I'm just waiting for the temps to stabilize, and then off to bed. See you guys in the morning, HAPPY SMOKE DAY!

Good morning fellow smokers!
So here's the brisket after about 8 hours (i sleep a little longer than i planned)

two questions though:
I'm sitting around 190ish in the flat and 180ish in the point. Still feels a little tight. Should i wrap at this point or just let it go till tender and wrap to hold.
What about point flat temp/doneness? I'm worried about over cooking the flat for the sake of the point. Which i plan to cut off and make burnt ends out of anyway.
thanks for the advice and hope everyone has a great Smoke day.

Also remember your Veterans. If you know one give them a call and thank them. Having 2 brothers, a brother-in-law, and father-in-law all serving or having served it goes a long way in making them feel appreciated.

I did a brisket not too long ago and it was stiff also. I pulled it off at 190 in the flat and was sorry I did it. I think it depends on the meat. I went with a cheaper than normal cut and I think that was a factor. I would let it go for a while longer.

I let it go til the probe slid through like butter. I don't know if this normal or not, when i poked it from the top it went right through, but if i came at it from the side it was a little more stiff. I didn't want to over cook it so i pulled it, wrapped in foil with a mop sauce, into a blanket and put it in a hot cooler. Hopefully it'll come out good. If it's under i think i'll cut it all in to cubes and back on the smoker for burnt ends.
Pics are in my wife's camera, when she gets back I'll post 'em.

Back