Missouri > Dexter: Hickory Log

doug ep

TVWBB Super Fan
1314 Business Hwy 60. 573-624-4950. Website has a photo slideshow to peruse.

Stopped on the way thru town yesterday. Spoke to one of the owners, Jason Banken. He was very personable and gracious, kind enough to show me their pits. They have 6 old fashioned brick pits on the backside of the restaurant.

We were traveling elsewhere, so didn't have a whole meal. Rather, just bought a slab of ribs (only), which were served dry. They were delicious, no sauce, good rub taste, with a marvelous smoke flavor.

They don't offer brisket, rather they have a smoked top sirloin. It was netted, Jason said, to prevent it from pulling apart when removed. He poked one to remove it, and it was very tender. Unfortunately, I didn't try that, but it sure looked tasty.

I highly recommend if you are in the area, stop in and eat. Anyone else been there?

Both parents are from Southeast Missouri, so I grew up making frequent visits to the grandparents. Made a trip to the Hickory Log almost every time, and after 30 years of eating them I'm still not tired of the ribs there. Best flavor you'll ever find (and that's from someone who lives in Memphis now). They cook the ribs kinda fast though, which makes them a little tougher than most places. If I could coax the recipe out of them, I would love to make a batch of these at about 225F over a 5-6 hour period to replicate that flavor but with a better texture.

Back