New Jersey > Plainfield: Buccaneer Bay BBQ

Jon K

TVWBB Super Fan
https://www.buccaneerbaybbq.com/

Buccaneer Bay BBQ
154 Terrill Road (Across from The Jade Isle)
Plainfield, NJ 07062

B.B. has opened in a space formerly occupied by a soft-serve ice cream stand. It's been under construction for close to a year and my hopes were VERY high that we would have a BBQ joint other than Famous Daves. Well, all hope was dashed when I went in there for lunch today for a pulled pork sandwich. What a disappointment. It was mushy without a large enough piece to give it any texture other than mush. There was some sort of sauce on it, not sweet, not vinegar, just a pale pinkish moisture. There was also some granulated white bits in the mush that almost looked like parmesan that had been granulated in a food processor. Then there was the odd taste. It's been a couple of hours and I don't have a stomach ache so I'm sure it wasn't spoiled, it just wasn't any good. As I said, I'm very disappointed.

I don't understand people who open/run restaurants and have lousy food. Watch "Restaurant Impossible" or any of the other similar shows on TV and essentially it boils down to the product you put out. If you put out good food, people will come. If you don't, you won't make it. These BBQ joints in NJ are clueless (at best) or purposefully negligent and just trying to make a buck (at worst). I'm not suggesting BBQ is easy, but it's not rocket science. Anyone running a restaurant should be able to put out an acceptable product, but I keep seeing over and over that it's just not possible in most places here in the northeast.

Back