Found an SJP - now what?

Rick O'Neil

Hi all - my dilemma: I found an SJP (6 of them actually) on sale (10% off) at the local Ace hardware store. I've been holding out for a used 18.5 one touch gold that I can cut the legs off of and therefore keep the ash catcher and eliminate the air flow issues....
However, after a month of daily Craigslist scans, not one 18/5 gold has turned up.
So here's my question: does the notched handle and the holding wire of the SJP fit on an 18.5 gold? If so, I 'll continue to wait for a used gold to show up and order the parts to add to it (luv the handle option). However - if it does not fit than I will risk life & limb and put to use my barely existent technical skills to try modify the SJP - and give up on the ash catcher. The grill will mainly be used for pulled pork and steaks at the beach one week out of the year.... I know, I know - if this is my biggest problem in life, than I should just quit whining. You are correct - but it's what I do best. Thanks in advance for all the suggestions. Luv this forum.
Rick

i vote for waiting on a kettle. once modded ya can't go back and used kettles are always gonna show up. a month of waiting is nothing. i've waited over a year and 'am still waiting.

You should also try cooking on a Platinum before modding it. There is a thread about how to arrange your coals for optimum efficiency, and they work well on my SJG at least. I'm looking for a Platinum, found one on CL for $15 locally (used). They're discontinued, and I would personally stay away from modding one. The convenience of no ash in your car when you travel is HUGE.

You could also go with a 18.5 one touch silver, mod the legs, and just sit a small pan underneath it to catch the ashes. I was doing that for a brief time with my 22.5 silver. A round disposable aluminum casserole dish did the job very well.

Also, where are you located? The idea of finding a NEW SJP is awesome...

i did the sjp mod. i cant imagine a otg breathing better than my sjp. while simply cutting the legs off a otg would be easier its not hard at all to put a one touch on a sjp. the locking handle on the sjp is a big plus too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russell Y:
Have you seen this SJP mod?

Ash catcher included. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh please!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back