Low pizza

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I started doing pizza at lower temps a while back experimenting with success. It makes it much easier to make sure the crust is just the way you like it.

1. I put Kingsford in the charcoal ring and set that on the lower level in the 22 WSM. Light. I like Kingsford for that brick oven flavor.

2. Put the stone on. Leave the bottom vents open and lid cracked with top vent open. I also leave the door cracked. It heats up quicker this way.

3. When it gets to temp 300 plus I close the door and lid to heat soak the stone well. Mine is thick so it takes a little while to heat it. I also raise it, a couple bricks will work. I like the stone above the rim. About 30 minutes after lighting it should be ready.

4. Slide pizza on put top back on. When the temp get's back up close the top vent all the way or almost completely.

5. After about ten minutes open and rotate with a metal espatula and always check the bottom, it should'nt be nearly done yet. Close it back up, leave the top vent as open as you need to keep the temp at 300 plus. It drops everytime you open the lid. The great thing about the pizza stone is that it helps the grill get back up to temp faster because it retains so much heat. Alton brown even reccomends useing one in a regular oven since you lose heat in those when opening as well.

6. Wait another ten or so and repeat step #5. It should be getting close now. I go by smell at this point. If you start to smell doneness and it looks the way you want it to pull it. I touch the top outer crust to check it as well I don't like it too hard because I like to eat it.
It will not come out flimsy unless it's pulled to fast. It should come out firm. And slightly crunchy when you cut it.

This also works on any regular Weber. You can also practice with cheap frozen pizzas and add your own toppings. Good Luck.

This pizza was a mozzarella, calabrese salami, green garlic olive, Pine nuts and mushroom. It came out great. Lately I have been using sausage instead of salami or peporoni. Have fun.

Thanks Jim, the other day I went to an Italian restaurant where they had a brick pizza oven. I noticed that they cook at really high heat and it looked great, but the crust had a very burned or over cooked look to it. Where I grew up we had an Italian deli that made pizza very similar to mine. The dough was light in color and it had about the same flavor as the Kingsford gives it. I guess it's just a matter of preference. By the way have you seen my thread on the hinged grill idea in modifications? We need a machinist. Have a look.
icon_smile.gif

Just an FYI for you. The lower you cook your pizza, the drier the crust will be. That's why it's best to cook pizza at the highest temp possible that you can, depending on what flour you are using. Just saying.
icon_wink.gif

Your pie looks good.
icon_cool.gif

Funny, I was just thinking about pizza on the WSM.
icon_smile.gif

Especially after watching the history channel program on pizza last night. I'm going to give it a shot and see how it comes out.

Back