Missouri > Kansas City: Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
While in Kansas City 2 weeks ago we stayed right near Country Club Plaza and there's a Jack Stack there, in the former KC Masterpiece location. The restaurant was packed and the table wait was 45-50 minutes so we chose to eat at the bar.
FiorellasJackStackKCMO20140405_1.jpg

We started with the grilled jumbo shrimp appetizer and they were really good, especially with the dipping sauce. They weren't too spicy, either.
FiorellasJackStackKCMO20140405_2.jpg

My wife isn't a big eater so we decided to split the Sampler combo platter, which features chicken, beef burnt ends, polish sausage, and spare ribs.
FiorellasJackStackKCMO20140405_3.jpg

This should tell you what we thought of it. ;) Everything was very good and I can't honestly say I liked any particular meat much more than the others.
FiorellasJackStackKCMO20140405_5.jpg

When the person next to you takes a food photo it's perfectly acceptable to ask if you can photograph the plate as well. :) Although this didn't sit to well with Mrs. O as a)it's bad enough that I take photos of my own food, b)the person was a Royals fan, and c)the person also happened to be a younger, attractive blonde. :cool:
FiorellasJackStackKCMO20140405_4.jpg

Last edited:
Brad - where's the picture of the younger attractive blonde?!? :cool:

Regardless of the lack of blonde, great review and pictures! :D

We visited the Freight House location on Mother's Day, May 8, 2022. Got there at 11:00 am opening without a reservation and got a table. Lots of moms being treated to a barbecue lunch. This is a table service/waiter/fine dining kind of barbecue restaurant in a really interesting restored warehouse venue. Great ambience and good barbecue, but not spectacular. Brisket was cut thin but tasted good. Turkey was unusually square in shape and cut super thin. Burnt ends were very good, spareribs were good but we ended up with some runts from the end of the slab, not nice center-cut bones. The fries were good, the hickory pit beans were good, the cheesy corn bake was too thin and soupy for our taste. The warm, gooey brownie with vanilla ice cream was fabulous, but we did have to overlook some icy chunks that should not have been included.

Overall, a nice experience, good table service, good food, pricy ($86 including tip, one iced tea and one beer), and an interesting bit of architecture and interior design at the railroad tracks right next door to Union Station in the heart of the downtown KC art district and within walking distance of Crown Center shopping mall (don't bother with the mall, not much going on there).

IMG_4707.JPG

IMG_4705.JPG

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

IMG_4692.JPG

IMG_4694.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

IMG_4699.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG

We visited the Freight House location on Mother's Day, May 8, 2022. Got there at 11:00 am opening without a reservation and got a table. Lots of moms being treated to a barbecue lunch. This is a table service/waiter/fine dining kind of barbecue restaurant in a really interesting restored warehouse venue. Great ambience and good barbecue, but not spectacular. Brisket was cut thin but tasted good. Turkey was unusually square in shape and cut super thin. Burnt ends were very good, spareribs were good but we ended up with some runts from the end of the slab, not nice center-cut bones. The fries were good, the hickory pit beans were good, the cheesy corn bake was too thin and soupy for our taste. The warm, gooey brownie with vanilla ice cream was fabulous, but we did have to overlook some icy chunks that should not have been included.

Overall, a nice experience, good table service, good food, pricy ($86 including tip, one iced tea and one beer), and an interesting bit of architecture and interior design at the railroad tracks right next door to Union Station in the heart of the downtown KC art district and within walking distance of Crown Center shopping mall (don't bother with the mall, not much going on there).

View attachment 51755

View attachment 51756

View attachment 51757

View attachment 51748

View attachment 51749

View attachment 51750

View attachment 51751

View attachment 51752

View attachment 51753

View attachment 51754
We were in KC about a year ago and ate at the Freight House location as well. Was extremely disappointed in almost everything we ordered. Ribs were pretty much un-edible, burnt ends were OK. The sausage was pretty good though. I'm glad we were able to get into Q39 and Joe's before we left town. Much better BBQ from those 2 locations, with Q39 being one of the best BBQ places I have eaten at ever.

...with Q39 being one of the best BBQ places I have eaten at ever.
Q39 was definitely at the top of my list, but I didn't feel like waiting in a long line and assumed I'd have to do that if we went, especially on Mother's Day. But hopefully I'll be back for a visit.

Back