grillfloss?

I've seen it before, but never purchased, or used it. I figured I had to have something out in my garage that could mimic it. A 1/4" open end wrench does a pretty good job on getting the crusties off a cool WSM or kettle grate.

Tim

My dad has one of those for his gas grill and he really likes it. I've used it a couple of time on his grill and it seems very tedious to me. I would not use it on my kettle or WSM.

I've tended to just flip my grate over and brush both sides. While I'm sure this tool will work, it seems awfully expensive for what it is.

This thing looks like it would be great - if you had the giant restaurant style grates like on the demo video... Otherwise it looks like it might be too tedious for the Weber grates. Plus - is that a metal handle on that thing!? That means you better be lightning fast if you're cleaning over hot coals... I just use the Grill Wizard China Brush as recommended by Cooks illustrated/Americas test kitchen. It basically uses stainless steel scrubbies attached to a sturdy base and handle to scrub the grates clean. Pros - conforms to any grate and really gets down in between the grates to get you a virtually brand new surface every time you scrub. Cons - scrubbies get all mangled after five or more uses and while still usable start to lose some effectiveness. Best part though is that you can take the scrubbies off, flip them, then reattach and you have a new brush again. When the scrubbies get dirty, take them off and clean them in some hot soapy water, then rinse and reattach! If the scrubbies ever become unusable, I'll just swap them out with another stainless steel scrubbie - $3!

Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Brush both sides? Really? Never occurred to me. I've always just done the top where the food sits.

Well, flipping the grate over puts the top closer to the coals and helps burn the crud off better. Since I got it flipped, I just go ahead and get the crud on the bottom brushed off. Flip it back and do the top again. Not every time I cook, but every once in a while.

The problem with these gadgets is that they assume we all have wire type grates. My primary grate is cast iron that is much thicker and wider.

I have used it twice on my Weber Genesis Silver Stainless grates and it is virtually worthless.
I am thinking that the grill floss is specifically meant to be used with his own solid round stainless grates.
I have tried both the smaller and larger heads.
The first problem is that is does not easily fit between the grates like their video shows. I assume the Weber grates are much closer together than his replacement solid ones.
The other problem is that neither head comes in complete contact with the grates. No matter how I angle the head there remains a bit of the gap.
For me at least it does not appear to be worth the $7.95 I paid for it let alone the $25 plus shipping it sells for on their website.

That's why I just use a 1/4" open end wrench to do a 360 scrape off on the WSM or OTG grates. ( takes about a minute) Depending on the thickness of your rods, you should be able to find one to match.
I should add that I only do this when the grates are cool (pre) or warm (post) cook.

Tim

I like the idea of your 1/4" wrench Tim. As a matter of fact, I'm going to take my wrench to work tomorrow, and weld a handle on it. Awesome idea man.

Back