Weber poultry roaster, just tried mine

elmo

TVWBB Fan
i did not want to hijack the other post so made a new one.

I got two of these recently and tried them last week for the first time.

In instruction manual, it says to put 1/2 cup of juice in the cup holder and that makes it completely full.

I put orange juice in one and mango juice in the other and used my performer with indirect heat to cook chickens.

The chickens were good but I did not notice anything special about them compared to cooking them indirect without the roaster.

The cups were still full of the juice and there was no juice flavor at all in the chicken and meat was not extra tender or juicy like it was supposed to when cooking with this roaster.

Also, the cooking time was not significantly shorter either.

I did use the cap on top of chicken.

So i am not sure if i did anything wrong and if not, do you guys have same results when using the roaster?

I thought chicken was supposed to taste much better and be different with this.

elmo

i forgot to mention that with the chicken on the roaster, i was not able to put on the cover on the performer properly with the roaster on the grill.

I had to push on the lid to close and the top of the chicken was stuck on the lid and there was no space between them.

elmo

How big is the base on the poultry roaster? You may be able to put it right on the charcoal grate between the baskets. I do that sometimes when cooking a chicken upright so I'm able to close the lid.

I've never used the Weber chicken roaster, just the cheap $5 wire models, but it makes some darn juicy chicken all right. I don't think the type of liquid you use flavours the bird much, if at all, but it's definitely the most efficient way to roast chickens. I can fit 3 of these on my grill with room to spare, and 5 if I stagger properly. I always go for a 350* hood temp and get plenty of steam inside the bird that way.

guys, what kind of liquid other than wine or beer worked good for you with this poultry roaster.

I would like to give this roaster another try and not sure what liquid is best to use since last two juices i used (mango and orange) did not make any difference to chicken.

And has anyone used one of these on the WSM?

Will that unit work well with low slow on the WSM?

thanks

Back