Grease dripping down door and condensation in thermometer

John A

TVWBB Member
Two quick things that I'm curious about.

During my first heat up of my new 18 in WSM I notice that grease drips down the little hole where the handle attaches on the side door. It's quite ugly. This happen often?

Second, I am noticing that I have condensation in my dome thermometer. For my normal Weber I usually remove the thermometer when not in use, but this one is attached.

Thoughts?

John

I also have the problem with grease dripping down the hole on the side door. I've never done anything about it, but after a few cooks it should close up and stop dripping. Mine did. While I've never gotten around to cleaning mine, after that hole seals up you should be able to clean the exterior of the door w/out a problem if it really bothers you.

I've never had condensation in my thermo, so I can't be of help to you there.

That's good to know. I have a feeling it will 'plug up' a bit. I even have grease dripping out from the thermometer hole!

Thanks for your response.

I'd wear that grease stain like a badge of honor. it gives you creditability. Where I come from here in Tx.That is called pit seasoning the better seasoned the better the Q. Course around here The Cowgirls think scars are sexy too, and we wash the pick up once a year whether it needs it or not.

Along with what Craig says. What you've got is normal, normal, and normal.

I used to clean my WSM to showroom condition after each smoke. Wow, that was a loonngg time ago. Now I clean it when I get the 'brown snowflakes' as I call them. About every 5 or 6 smokes.

As for the condensation in the thermometer, if it really bothers you then unscrew it, lay it in the sun upside down for an afternoon. All fixed.

Russ

Back