New stoker setup

Joe S.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello all,

My stoker will arrive on Monday. I been looking at threads on setting it up . I'm not to good with network stuff. I jyust bought this router SMCWBR14-G2 EU Barricade™ g Wireless Broadband Router.Here's a link http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?e...Code=DE_AUT&pid=1506

Is this what I need to setup the stoker to see the stoker if I'm not at home.

I'm reading all the setup links and now I seem more confused.

Thanks,

Joe

well first off welcome! Your router (which I've never heard of) will need to do some pretty neat tricks in order for all of this to happen. Most of us that do this get a really cheap router off eBay and load custom software (DD-WRT) to do it. That said, we can take you through baby steps so that you can see the stoker on your network. We're here for you - just ask.

BTW: the manual looks German.

Thanks RobM,

I think for my first cook I may just hook it directly to a my lapto by a crossover cable and see if I can see it on my laptop.

Then over next weekend I wll hook the stoker to my router and put the stoker ip in my router's gui I will see it.
Does that sound correct?

Thanks again

As you outlined, it is a good idea to get some satisfaction before you confront the frustration of wireless connections.

Check out Amir's StokerLog with a nice, simple hardwired connection then attack the tricky parts when you know the result is worth the trouble.

Welcome!

Thanks John ,

I may just go the hardwired route for awhile. I usually only do long cooks on the weekend when I'm home , atleast I will feel safer leaving the house for few hours still knowing the stokers is running along with stokerlog.

Go hard wired if you can. One less thing to worry about.Using the Stoker on your home network is seemless.The challenge is when trying to access from outside your network. If you are only interested in keeping up to date using the email function can do that.When your comfortable with how it all works the ability to check and change from outside the network is a nice but not necessary added feature.

Is your router already in place? I assume it has a few wired ports in the back. Most have 4. One of the first things I did was to just connect the stoker to the router's wired connection and turn it on. Then you can find its IP address and use your computer to get to the Stoker's web server.

-rob

I have a a router with 4 ports and my dsl connected to that. I will just have to run a long cat 5 from the stoker into the house where my router is located.

Will I be able to get text messages that way one thread I read somewhere said you must have wireless to get ext messages and look at stoker from any pc?

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe S.:
I have a a router with 4 ports and my dsl connected to that. I will just have to run a long cat 5 from the stoker into the house where my router is located.

Will I be able to get text messages that way one thread I read somewhere said you must have wireless to get ext messages and look at stoker from any pc?

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, you don't anything other than running the wire as you mention above. Once there, you can send out emails or text messages without any other hardware or configuration work.

Thanks for all the input. I hope it's easier once I have the device.I have a tendency to over analyze something and make it harder than what it is until I do it.

Thanks again.

You are a little ahead of yourself. At this point we are assuming you have not even installed StokerLog but have the router setup and your computer is connected to the router and you have no stoker yet.

Your next step after getting the stoker is plugging it into the router and getting to the Stoker's web interface. After that you should install StokerLog.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info.
I hooked up the stoker yesterday with a crossover cable to my laptop I was able to see it.

Then Ihard wired it to my wireless router on my desktop pc saw it.
If I run a ehternet cable from my stoker to the router for my desktop is that good enough to see it remotely from work .

Thanks

no but it's a start. You need to do 2 things:

Your router acts like a hardware firewall blocking computer from the internet from initiating a connection on the computers on your network. You need to forward HTTP requests on the outside to the IP address of your stoker. Find the IP address of your stoker and setup your router to forward port 80 requests to that address.

Depending upon your provider they may block all HTTP requests at their level. If that's the case you'll need to use an alternate port like 8080 when making the request from the internet. Your router will then need to forward the 8080 request to a port 80 request on the stoker. I haven't seen many routers that could do this out of the box. Those of us that do this are mostly running 3rd party firmware on the router.

First thing's first though. Setup port forwarding on your router to the stoker and you can make a port 80 request to your router's WAN address which should get you to the stoker's web interface.

Who is your provider?

Also, check out the following thread where I discuss calibration of the probes:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...270072103/m/86510771

-rob

Thanks Rob.I will see if I can do this when I get home. Hopefully I can figure out this address forwarding. My provider is windstream (alltel).

I got the router free from a co-worker. If I have to buy one atleast it wont be a loss.

I didn't see any calibration numbers for my probes.

So I shouldn't need anymore equipment to see this remotely?If I understand you right I just need to get everything configured and I should be good to go.

Sorry for all the questions the networking part of it is confusing to me.

Thanks

I'm not computer savy enough to figure this out it seems. I tried configuring I give up for now to frustrated. I called my isp they don't block ports they said.

I will just use the front panel andnot even worry about using remotely .

Thanks for all the help.

Joe,

You can still use Amir's program on your local network. All you need to know is the IP address of your stoker. His program is awesome. Quite frankly, I find little use for exposing my stoker outside my network as I am always home when I'm running my pit anyway.

Also, you'll need to calibrate your probes before the first use. You do this by putting the tips in boiling water and adjusting the "CAL" number until it reads 212. Hit save and your done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">do this by putting the tips in boiling water and adjusting the "CAL" number until it reads 212. Hit save and your done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Robb,

I did check the probes one was at 211 and the other was 209. I figured close enough for me.

I will pretty much be home when running the pit also.Maybe leave the house do a few things but I doubt I would leave it for a long length of time.
I had it setup to the router and I can see it and use Amir's Stoker log, so that's all I need.

Can't wait for the first cook this weekend with it , pulled pork

Thanks again

Back