Chicken Enchiladas

Trevor Wilson

TVWBB Member
This is a recipe that my mother picked up when I was a kid and became a regular dish around our house growing up. She got the recipe from a woman that I only remember as Mrs. McMahon.

I have made this since I left home (has it really been 20 years?) whenever I needed to feed a bunch of folks and I wanted to mask my limited cooking prowess. I would generally use a rotisserie chicken from the store. Recently, I started smoking meats on my brandy new 22.5 and discovered that I like smoked chicken MUCH more than baked chicken. The inclusion of smoked chicken into this recipe was an inevitability. As it turns out, it really works well together.

So the next time you are smoking something, maybe you'll throw in an extra chicken with this recipe in mind.

Chicken Enchiladas

6 Tbl Butter
½ cup Flour
½ tsp Salt
2 cups Chicken Broth
2 Tbl Fresh Parsley chopped
1 Tbl Lemon Juice
1 Small Onion diced
1 Chicken, cooked and Shredded (smoked > baked)
12 Flour Tortillas
2 Finely chopped Jalapenos
2 lbs Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
3 cups Sour Cream
¼ tsp Paprika
¼ tsp Pepper
¼ tsp Fresh Grated Nutmeg

Melt butter and whisk in flour and salt to make a rue. Cook over medium-high heat for a few minutes until mixture becomes a golden color. Whisk in chicken broth and cook until thickened (10 minutes). Remove from heat. Add parsley, lemon juice, onion, paprika, nutmeg, and pepper. Stir in chicken, jalapenos, ¾ of the grated cheese and sour cream. Return to heat if needed to melt the cheese. Place mixture in a tortilla and roll. Place in a baking dish. Pour any extra sauce over top and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until heated through. Serve with Pico de Gallo and Guacamole.

It's pretty rich and filling. I often split the recipe into two baking pans and freeze one of them covered in foil. Out of the freezer, put the pan in a cold oven (to prevent thermal shock if its a glass pan). Bake at 350 for 45 minutes until heated through.

Pico de Gallo

4 Large tomatoes
½ cup green onion chopped
3 jalapenos seeded and finely diced
1 clove garlic finely chopped
¼ cup lime juice
½ cup cilantro chopped
1 tsp fresh chopped oregano (or ¼ t dried)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix together and refrigerate for a couple hours before serving.

Guacamole
Mash up a few avocados. Add in a small amount of the above pico de gallo. Sprinkle with a little cumin. Mix gently.

Back