Thermoworks questions

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I got serious probe envy after I saw Bill Hayes' thermoworks pistol grip combo ir/probe gun that I've been trolling their site for a couple of months now.

I just checked in and it looks like the ditched the themapen with interchangeable probes for a smaller deal (mtc mini). I was thinking of going this route because (depending on the probe) can work as both an insta-read or wired in oven probe. also the probes couldthen be used with their usb data loggers.

has anybody had any experience with any of these product?

additionally I was thinking of tacking on one or two of the thermoworks $19 oven probes since I've burnt all my maverick probes. any body use these?

I have the older model but, yes, I use several probes, mostly needle (for sous vide), air temp, and surface probes. All are wired type Ks. I don't have the oven probes but could easily see having them in my kit.

Kevin, one of my intended uses is for sous vide applications. I've read about inserting needle probes into the vacuum bag, but I would like to hear a first hand account how one does this with out losing the vacuum or letting water into the bag.

One uses closed cell foam weatherstripping. (Make sure it is closed cell, not open cell; it should say on the package.) 1/4-inch or 1/2 inch wide, either way, adhesive on one side, is what you want.

Cut a small piece, 1/4-inch or 1/2-inch square.

Vac the food into the bag. Stick the foam on the bag near the place you'll probe, usually the thickest part of the item.

Get your waterbath going then insert the needle probe through the foam and into the food; carefully immerse the bag. Plug the probe connector into your readout and you're good to go. You should not lose the vac nor have any leakage as long as you don't remove the probe.

When the food is done and you do remove the probe either consume soon or, if storing, re-vac the bag in another bag, chill in an ice bath, fridge or freeze when cool.

Probing sous vide foods can be worthwhile when learning the process and getting used to the dynamics but is not necessary to do very often, if at all, after that.

Probing sous vide foods can be worthwhile when learning the process and getting used to the dynamics but is not necessary to do very often, if at all, after that.

Thanks for the info. I heard about the weather stripping, but needed confirmation. it seemed questionable.

Thats about it, getting use to the dynamics. kind of like the wsm, by the time your therm breaks you won't need it anymore.

another sous vide related question: what do use use to maintain the temp of your water bath?

I use a lab circulating water bath for most lower temp stuff. It has temp control. For confit and the like, where I want temps of 180, I simply use a pot on top of the stove, partially covered, and a low flame. I can maintain 180 for the 9-11 hours it takes for confit, no problem.

link is not working

hmmm, thanks for the heads up. it works for me.

I was having issues with photobucket, and I had been playing with picasa, so I figured I'd see if I could get it to work here.

IMG_2204.jpg

I realize this thread has kind of dissolved to me talking to myself. so in case anybody's still reading, I thought I'd post an update on my first use of my new gadget.

I don't own a thermapen nor have ever used one, so It was quite a surprise when I busted out this baby against a 2 lb, 1.5" thick, prime, dry-aged, delmonico.

I like then needle for this application since it is much less damaging compared to a standard probe.

I was also really impressed with the acuity and speed. I inserted the needle at an angle and it could read such minute temp changes that I could easily tell where the center of the was. As I slowly inserted the needle, the temp continued to decrease,a nd I reversed direction when it started to increase. I left it inserted at the coldest reading.

I doubt it had much to do with the probe therm, but this steak might have ended up to be the finest steak I've made. It helps to have a beautiful piece of meat to start with.

I like to do these monster steaks in an all clad type pan that can be transferred to an oven. It affords you maximum browning and temperature control. And when its prime dry aged beef, your flavor is focused on the meat and not your grilling fuel.

Anyways, to the point. I rubbed the steak down with a healthy dose of ground white and black peppers, french grey salt, and minced garlic. What made this steak so special, was how the garlic roasted between the meat and the pan and gave the crust an awesome roasted garlic bite.

As the steak rested, I tossed some more garlic and tomato paste into the hot pan. Added and reduced some red wine. Added and reduced some beef stock. Mounted it with butter.

Thanks for the review, I have been reading
icon_smile.gif
I've been looking at the MTC as it seems to over more options then the Thermopen with an initial lower cost.

I've been looking at the MTC as it seems to over more options then the Thermopen with an initial lower cost.

right on. I can't compare them directly but if this works as good as the pen,then its no comparison.

eventually, I plan to try out other thermocouple probes. and there's a usb data logger that works with these probes that I thought looked cool too.

It doesn't seem much better priced than a Thermapen. Don't you have to buy the unit and a probe? That gets you up to the level of a Thermapen right away.

By the way, Thermapens = $74. That's a good price.

It doesn't seem much better priced than a Thermapen. Don't you have to buy the unit and a probe? That gets you up to the level of a Thermapen right away.

By the way, Thermapens = $74. That's a good price.

Thermapen is a one trick pony. even with one needle probe you have more options because it has a cable.

I haven't compared prices lately, but if I'm spending that kind of coin, I'll gladly pay 10% more for the flexibility and interchangeability.

I think Thermoworks is going to have to re-think their pricing on the Thermapen. The MTC offers more capabilities with the interchangeable probes at close to the same price as the Thermapen when the MTC is paired with the super-fast probe.

Last month the special was $69, now there's a $74 special. I don't think at $89 the Thermapen can compete with the MTC.

I'm only interested as I was about to buy a Thermapen when they introduced the MTC. Still figuring out my needs and options.

-David

The one thing I can think of that the Thermapen has over the MTC is one handed use. I guess another advantage is the compactness of the pen. Literally, fold it up and put it in your pocket. I agree, the price might need a review, but they have been running discounts on the Thermapen for the first time. I guess they're on it.

Either one is expensive, but money well spent. I love my Thermapen and I bet I'd like the MTC.

The one thing I can think of that the Thermapen has over the MTC is one handed use. I guess another advantage is the compactness of the pen. Literally, fold it up and put it in your pocket.

the back is magnetic so I can attach it to my range hood at eye level and use one hand to probe the meat.

The unit it really small. the wire is kind of unwieldy, but coiled it all fits in a pouch that can fit in a pocket.

JB, what model # probe is that?

MTC with Miniature Needle Probe
Check meat in the oven or on the BBQ to 482ºF. Shown wih the THS-113-181 probe

great, thanks for making me swing by thermowork's website. I almost dropped another $140 on the usb data logger and smokehouse probe.

Back