Join me at John Mull's Meats & Road Kill Grill, Las Vegas NV, May 3, 2014

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I will be in Las Vegas visiting John Mull's Meats & Road Kill Grill on Saturday, May 3 at 2:00 pm PT. This barbecue joint was featured by Guy Fieri on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives on the Food Network.

If you live in Vegas or Southern Nevada or even in Southern California and want to drive up I-15 for the weekend, how about we have lunch together? I'll have TVWBB pins to hand-out and maybe some other merch on-hand, and if enough people show up, maybe we can take a group photo.

I'll be wearing a TVWBB t-shirt like this one and a Weber logo cap. Would love to meet some Weber fans, so stop by if you can! Text me at mail@virtualweberbullet.com so we can connect.

John Mull's Meats & Road Kill Grill
3730 Thom Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89130

I'd like to meet up with you at this place Chris (even though Guy Fieri is a prima donna :rolleyes:). If this was on a Friday, I'd make the trip...but it's Saturday and I have to be at work at 0630 hrs on Sunday morning and the drive from here is 5 1/2 hours one way! Eleven hours on the road before a 12 hour shift at the hospital is out for this year...but maybe next year (when retirement looms)?!

My Wife has been bugging me to take her to Vegas but we already have a camping trip planned for that weekend. Maybe some other time.

May 3 is getting closer...hope I won't be eating barbecue alone! Actually, I know of two friends of TVWB that will be joining me, but they aren't active here on the forum. I hope some of you folks in and around Vegas will join me. I know there are a few of you out there! :)

Man, my mother and Step Father will be in town that weekend. I'll see what I can put together, being local this is perfect? It's pretty good Q btw.

Paq, Dennis DeMark, late owner of Oh Dennis! in Racine, boiled his ribs too... did not realize it until he told me about 14-15 years ago.
and, if you've ever been there, he packed the place. Yeah, Milwaukee and it's surrounding areas can NOT be considered BBQ paradises... but his ribs were the best around these parts.

I think it's gonna be about the experience. He does boil the ribs in a marinade then grills them. I'm going to keep an open mind and enjoy it!

Larry, I will be arriving in Vegas on Friday May 2. Text me at mail@virtualweberbullet.com if you can make it on Saturday. Would be great to meet you!

I was just there today, picking up a couple of slabs of spare ribs for Easter...I'll be sure to stop by on May 3rd!

photo1_zps7baee1d4.jpg

Enjoyed having lunch and talking Q with JSteffen today at John Mull's. We agreed that we can make barbecue on our WSMs that rivals this place, but it was a fun experience to eat there and check-out the adjoining meat market. Thanks, J!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

photo1_zps7baee1d4.jpg

Enjoyed having lunch and talking Q with JSteffen today at John Mull's. We agreed that we can make barbecue on our WSMs that rivals this place, but it was a fun experience to eat there and check-out the adjoining meat market. Thanks, J!

It was great to meet you Chris - enjoy the rest of your trip!

Jeff

Hey Chris,

Yea unfortunatly mother and Stepfather chose Red Rock over BBQ. Man, really wish I could have made it, it's in my darn backyard!!!

Just a quick trip report now that I'm back home.

John Mull's Road Kill Grill was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives with Guy Fieri in May 2012. I'm told there aren't a lot of great barbecue joints in Vegas, but I thought it would be fun to check-out this place while in town, as it's basically an outdoor restaurant in the parking lot across from John Mull's Meats and Deer Processing.

I met my friends Adam and Annie at The Venetian on the Las Vegas Strip, and we took a cab for the 20 minute ride northeast to John Mull's. It's way off the beaten path, located in a commercial/residential neighborhood, out where the real people live and eat in Las Vegas. :)

photo2_zps3085a1b8.jpg

When the cab pulled into the gravel parking lot just after 2:00pm on a Saturday, there was a long line of people waiting to order. Good sign, I thought. Someone is doing something right here.

photo1_zps79cd11ea.jpg

We hopped out of the cab and were greeted almost immediately by TVWBB member JSteffen. It was awesome to meet him, and I really appreciated his making the effort to turn out and spend part of his Saturday having lunch with us.

photo4_zps3c88a3ee.jpg

The place is basically organized into two parts. There's a block building housing the meat market along the back side of the lot...not much to look at, no windows, very little signage, with a non-descript entrance door. And in front of that, there's the outdoor restaurant and picnic table area with a big tent overhead to provide shade. There's also some sort of permanent structure with a wide overhanging roof with a few more tables around it and a couple of flat screen TVs for watching the game.

IMG_1774_zpsbebb0ba4.jpg

The food prep area consists of two big steel grills/smokers sitting alongside an elevated, U-shaped serving area with steam trays for hot foods and iced serving areas for slaw, potato salad, and soft drinks in cans. You get in line to place your order, then continue in line to pay at the register, then on to the serving area where your order is assembled into a Styrofoam box.

All the usual suspects were there...brisket, spareribs, rib tips, pulled pork, hot links, 1/4 chicken, and pulled chicken. Meats are served as single meat dinners, 2- and 3-meat combos, and sandwiches. Sides include potato and mac salads, coleslaw, baked beans, mac & cheese, and green beans. Dessert consists of peach and apple cobblers. Beverages are soft drinks and water, no alcohol. A small selection of t-shirts, caps, aprons, and bandanas are available as souvenirs.

As for the food, nothing I had was spectacular. I tried the brisket and pulled pork. The brisket was very thinly sliced, most likely with a meat slicer. Of course, that made it very tender, but also hard to judge how tender it would have been if sliced thickly. It was kept warm and moist in a deep pan full of broth. Either it was alright or I was starving, because I ate all the brisket. The pulled pork was somewhat oversauced and the texture was OK. It came with a soft roll tossed on top of the meat and smashed by the Styrofoam lid that I used to make a small sandwich. I ate about half the pork.

IMG_1775_zps9d39d393.jpg

In hindsight, I'm not sure why I didn't think to order the ribs, those might have been the best thing there and I didn't even try them. I had the baked beans and mac & cheese...nothing special there.

JSteffen and I agreed that we could make BBQ that easily surpassed what we'd eaten here. However, I always acknowledge the difficulty of making decent barbecue at this scale and in an open parking lot, no less. I would not want to have that task.

IMG_1779_zpsf9c8863d.jpg

IMG_1776_zps20644292.jpg

After lunch, we went across the parking lot to the meat market and checked that out. It's not much to look from the outside or from the inside, for that matter...no glass case with meat inside. You place your order from a printed price list, the meat cutter brings out the meat and cuts it to order, places it in a lug that is carried up to the front counter, where it's weighed, priced, wrapped, and you pay. JSteffen ordered a slab of spareribs to cook at home the next day, trimmed to St. Louis style and rib tips. Looks like the meat market might be the strong suit of this place, as they offer a big selection of custom cuts.

Anyway, if you're looking for a funky BBQ experience and/or you like to try places featured on Triple D, give John Mull's Road Kill Grill a try.

Back