Royal Oak, Walmart, 17.6# $8, From Weekly circular *****

Rich Langer

TVWBB Guru
royaloak.png
[/URL][/IMG]
I think HD will match :wsm:

Good deal if it's up to snuff. I know it should be common sense, and it still can be a pig in a poke.....but when inspecting bags of lump:

LOOK. Is the bag damaged or pressed really flat?
FEEL. Can you feel some large chunks or a lot of little pieces?
LISTEN. Do you hear a bunch of gritty little bitty pieces when you tilt the bag end to end?

Just be aware that the bags aren't nearly all the same quality. I was getting decent big bags of RO lump for a while from Restaurant Depot, but the last two or three have been pitiful. I opened up a great looking bag yesterday, but it was a 20 lb. bag of Cowboy lump I got at the neighborhood grocer for $11.88.

That's a really good deal on the RO though, or at least we hope it is on the particular bags you pick up.

I grabbed 5 bags of the RO off the top of the pallet. Nice fluffy bags! :eek:
The Kingsford twin 13.9's were still at the regular $14.88 price. Will check Sunday for the $8.98 sale price. If it's not on sale, I'll whip out the smartphone & show em. :cool:

My ad says $8.98 for the 16.6lb bag of KBB. :(

It does have the Royal Oak deal though.....we'll see though....I was more than disappointed with the first and only bad of RO I bought

I grabbed 5 bags of the RO off the top of the pallet. Nice fluffy bags! :eek:
The Kingsford twin 13.9's were still at the regular $14.88 price. Will check Sunday for the $8.98 sale price. If it's not on sale, I'll whip out the smartphone & show em. :cool:

Yeah I'm definitely going in on the 27.8 pounds of kbb for 9 bucks ad I'm down to my last bag from last year. Will likely pick up some fluffy bags of RO as well ( have one small bag of stubbs left). Does anyone know if there is a limit? 32c/pound for KBB is good but not great like labor day.

I've never used Best of the West or Cowboy.
My experience is RO sparks just a tiny bit, now & then, but nothing blasting out of the cooker.
Only happens during initial fire-up.

got 5 today at home depot they price matched wal mart

I went to Walmart, if you do the search weekly ad for my store, it showed the twin pack 13.9 as 8.98. On the rack it listed 14.88. Unfortunately in the printed in store add that was for the 17 lb bag of Kbb. The three bags rang at 14.88 each. I showed the cashier the online add on my phone. She called a supervisor over who said they don't match phone adds even with walmart.com. I told him this was the online add for THIS store. He went back to customer service for 3/4 minutes then came back and okay it. So a little more than 75 pounds for less than 27 bucks.

The strange thing us that they had tons of spring stuff out, including grills, but very little charcoal out, this might be a holdover from last year. It should get me to memorial say for the big sales ( hopefully around 25c/pound).

Must be a regional thing. Our ad says it's the 8 lb bags, and if so, that's not anything special.
Betting that is an ad misprint since 8.8 lb bag normally $6.58.

Picked up 10 more today, and I'd get more but I'm running out of space.

Last edited:
J, I bet you're right. I looked at the online ad closer, and even though the description says 8lbs, the picture is of a big bag. I'll go by the store tomorrow and probably pick up some. Thanks.

Dont have it my walmart : ( All i saw was RO 8.8 for $6.58 and then i saw they had the 20 lb cowboy under and sticker below it said $6.58 got excited but it was in the wrong location. It was actually $13.97

Thanks. It is an unrestored original I bought from the original owner in 1991.

If I buy anymore charcoal, I may have to stack it in the Vette!

Back