Tennessee > Mt. Juliet: Martin's BBQ Joint

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
His original location is in Nolensville, TN, and from what I've seen online is to open a location in Nashville. While the Nolensville location made a big impression on us a couple of years back or so, this is regarding our visit just yesterday to the Martin's on Mt. Juliet Rd. just south of I-40. It's been there a year or so but Sherri normally doesn't like to go to BBQ joints. Anyhow, look for the tall smoke stack at the south end of a strip. If you go to the Cracker Barrel instead, you might just smell Martin's if there's a breeze out of the south. You say to yourself, "That's not the Cracker Barrel's fireplace I smell, is it?" Nope. Just get back in the car and head to the source of that BBQ perfumed hickory smoke.

Some sauces and pies for sale. The pork sandwich sauce, Sweet Dixie, is a tangy, spicy, sweet concoction not too thick, not too thin, and perfect for pork sammiches.

Speaking of sauce, I had the house Mississippi Comeback Sauce with my catfish. Sort of a cross between a remoulade and tarter sauce, maybe. The catfish, fries, and texas toast was really good. I knew Sherri would let me have some of her pulled pork sandwich (which we simply call a BBQ sammich 'round here) and I wasn't disappointed. It was fantastic. They serve them with slaw, the way God intended, according to Pat Martin.

Who's this coming here?

We missed the whole hog BBQ by one day.

They're only smoking hogs on the weekends right now but plan to go to six days a week as things get busier with the longer days and time change.

'splaying the hog. I asked one of the guys how much pork shoulder they use to supplement the whole hog, and he told me that the plan is one shoulder per ham, since their so lean. A lady asked him how long that hog would cook, and he said about 22 hours. This is Tennessee/Memphis style whole hog. Low-n-slow and indirect. No fat n the fire. Just clean burning hickory.

Do I recommend the joint? Heck yeah. The service was really good and folks were mighty friendly. We very rarely eat at BBQ joints, but this is the one to go to if you're in our neck of the woods.

Back