Making Brine Ahead of Time

JimT

TVWBB Pro
Is there any reason you couldn't make up a batch of simple salt/sugar brine and keep it in the refrigerator waiting for an "opportunity?"

JimT

that very idea has been in the back of my head for some time now.

I have a general rule that I won't grill white chicken or pork loins with out some brining first. However making a brine, chilling it, and getting the meat in it for the required time turns dinner into a multi-day process.

I'm thinking a 5 gal bucket with a bung tap (bottling bucket for home brewing)filled with brine in my beer fridge would be ideal. I could toss pork or chicken into a bowl, hit the tap to cover with brine and be ready to grill in an hour or so.

Of all the things that I would put in a brine, salt and sugar seem to be the most easily dissolved, even in relatively cold water. I don't think I'd sacrifice the refrigerator space to make such a brine up in advance. I routinely brine chicken tenders in a plain brine, and it's made "a la minute" with kosher salt, water, and ice cubes. Do it the morning, and the meat is ready to cook that evening.

Back