Cast Iron Pan Restoration

SE Davis

TVWBB Pro
So Colleen brought me a honey-do project a few weeks ago. She ran across a CI skillet of her mothers in storage. Can you clean this up for me so we can use it? Of course dear. The pan was pretty caked on the outside with rust and cooked on grease. I couldn't make out any markings on the handle or bottom. The inside was actually pretty good looking. Minor surface rust and some cooked on layers on the side wall. Pan was completely dry. I started cleaning before taking pics. Oh well. I decided to use a 4" angle grinder with a wire brush cup. Here is a pic of the bottom after some cleaning.

gpjg.jpg

t094.jpg

Looks like a #10 Griswold.

After an hour or so.
2k7v.jpg

Decided to flip to the inside because the bottom is a bear.
After another hour and a half.

xbhx.jpg

akyc.jpg

92u2.jpg

So back to the bottom.

ullf.jpg

I spent another hour and can make out most of the "Erie PA" stamped above the 716A on the bottom. The grinder was getting too hot to hold even with gloves on so I called it quits for now. I'm going to take the pan to work where I can use a 7" grinder with a brush. Hopefully this will do the trick so I can re season. Any helpful hints are definitely appreciated.
Scott

You have a Griswold #10 small logo skillet with the early style handle circa: 1939-1944. Cooking surface looks good and smooth. You can refurbish it the way you are going. Do not bead blast it or put it in a fire. I have a lye bath I clean my iron in and soak it in a vinegar bath to loosen rust. Then I wire brush it, wash it and season it. After you get it cleaned up it will need to be seasoned two or three times before it is cooked it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Bill. So would you soak this piece now and then continue with the wire brush? As I only have the one pan I'm not sure how involved this will become.
Scott

It appears you have the worst of the crud and rust removed. If you have only the one piece I would continue with the wire brushes. A wire brush works wonders on cast iron, but as you have found out it's work and it's dusty. I use wire brushes on a bench grinder as well as a braided wire cup brisk on a 4 1/2 Dewalt angle grinder. I also have a Dremel with stainless steel wire brushes. I forget to mention do not use any type of brass brush on your skillet it will turn your skillet a brass color. It will come off, but it's more work you don't want to do. You must clean a few pieces of iron to get the idea.

Last edited:
Look how smooth the bottom of the pan is, you just can't beat that old cast iron. Get some seasoning on that and it will out last you.

Pan update

I took my project to work where I used the 7" angle grinder with a braided wire cup. I didn't make any more headway to speak of on the bottom of the pan. It seams all the rust is gone but there is some pitting. I was starting to wear into the cast markings while cleaning. Decided to call it done.
Washed the pan in soap and hot water. Rinsed many times and wiped dry. Then into a warm oven to dry completely.

I used this method with flax seed oil to season.
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Ready to go for Colleen.
uw76.jpg

0m1l.jpg

q04x.jpg

Thanks, Scott

Wow, S.E. Your skillet looks ready to season. Good restoration job. I have heard of Sheryl Canter before. She goes way overboard on her seasoning method. Crisco works at well as any oil.

Bill

Last edited:
Wow, S.E. Your skillet looks ready to season. Good restoration job. I have heard of Sheryl Canter before. She goes way overboard on her seasoning method. Crisco works at well as any oil.

Bill
Yea Bill I took most of a week to season it 6 times with her method. I have some newer lodge pieces that I have seasoned with lard. I figured since it was a keepsake for the wife why not try something different. Thanks for your help.
Scott

I've been reading about that - great link. That piece looks so good that I want to take a brush to mine & season them like that. Report back with your opinion after a bit, would ya?

Very nice. I think flax seed is the way to go. I hear you can put it in the dishwasher afterwards and it'll still be seasoned. I don't think that's true with any other method.

I have a Findlay 6" pan with cast of the same quality. I wish I had more. The difference between old and new cast iron formulas is night and day.

Your pan looks awesome. Great Job.

So, Gary , and anyone else who knows good iron..........to get to the " better old cast iron product " where in what block of time would one go, for what manufacturer ? I'm really impressed with the restoration and what a pretty piece of work.....excellent and WOW.

So, Gary , and anyone else who knows good iron..........to get to the " better old cast iron product " where in what block of time would one go, for what manufacturer ? I'm really impressed with the restoration and what a pretty piece of work.....excellent and WOW.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Antique-Findlay-cast-iron-skillets-pans-3-skillets-8-5-3-/221229688394
These were made in Canada. The foundry was established back in the 1800's. I'm not very familiar with most of the US brands. I have several Lodge pieces and while I like them there is no comparison. I also have a Wagner but it's not like the older pans either.

Very nice. I think flax seed is the way to go. I hear you can put it in the dishwasher afterwards and it'll still be seasoned. I don't think that's true with any other method.

Please share your results with us after you put your cast iron through the dishwasher.

Last edited:
So glad I found this thread! Thinking of buying one of the new lodge 12inch cast iron pans.

I read mixed reviews about them being 'rough' on the inside.

Folks reccomended finding an older one on ebay because they are more 'finished' than the lodge new ones sold.

Thoughts to the cast iron gurus out there?

So glad I found this thread! Thinking of buying one of the new lodge 12inch cast iron pans.

I read mixed reviews about them being 'rough' on the inside.

Folks reccomended finding an older one on ebay because they are more 'finished' than the lodge new ones sold.

Thoughts to the cast iron gurus out there?

Andrew, if you've never used cast iron before, I suggest getting a new, modern Lodge piece to start with. Yes, they are "rougher" and heavier than older pieces, but in the end, they really do cook the same. And they are MUCH cheaper. It's like any other cooking tool...learn to use it, and it will serve you well.
An older, smoother piece will NOT make your food turn out better if you don't use it correctly. Old & smooth cast iron will stick and burn food just as easily as a newer, rougher piece if you don't use it right. Just my two cents. I'm no expert, but I own 50+ pieces of cast iron....ranging from post civil war to new Lodge.....learn to use it first, then spend if you feel the need or want to collect.

Thanks!! I'll get one soon then. Was just worried from the few negative reviews I read. :)

Have a ton of bacon fat I am going to use to bbreak her in :)

Andrew, I have 2 of the Lodge 12" pans.... they might be rougher inside, and it might be a good idea to use metal spatulas at first, but nothing is stopping you from sanding it down and re-applying the seasoning.

There's some interesting info on using flax seed oil to season, but ya know, cast iron is really easy to take care of. I hardly season mine anymore.... I just rinse & dry it. Sometimes I'll use oil, but not always.

The 12" pans are a great size. I made flank steak burritos in mine today.

Back