Texas > Dallas: Pecan Lodge

JesseG

TVWBB Member
The wife and I tried out Pecan Lodge today, it's 27 degrees and sleeting so I figured there wouldn't be too much of a line. We ordered, Sliced Brisket, Pork Ribs, Jalepeno Cheese Sausage, Pulled Pork, chopped beef sandwich and a sandwich they call the Pitmaster.

Here is a look at the line we waited in, it was about a 15 min wait, I was right about the weather keeping people at home, a regular showed up and said we were lucky because the line was usually a 1 - 1.5 hour wait.

Here are the Ribs and Brisket

Ribs alone. They were dry rub I didn't add sauce, great smoke flavor nice tug to it as well. Looks like the don't trim off the little skirt piece on the back

Brisket with jalapeño cheese sausage. Brisket had good bark, not too hard, the meat was very moist and flavorful, I ate it with no sauce as well. Wife had the sauce she liked it. Was a tangy/sweet sauce.

Now here is my favorite part! The Pitmaster!! Has brisket, pulled pork, sausage, slaw, bbq sauce and fresh sliced jalapeños. This was awesome!

Had the Mac and cheese, lacked flavor. But i came for the BBQ anyway. :cool:

I took a trip by the Pecan Lodge in Dallas today. I went to their new location. The review above seems to be their old spot at the farmers market. I have lived in Dallas forever and haven't been and heard everyone rant and rave about the Lodge. I showed up 11:15am. (doors opened at 11) There were about 30 people in line which I expected. Luckily I was able to snag a seat at the bar and order right away. I really haven't heard anyone say anything negative about the Lodge so I had extremely high hopes. I guess I build it up in my mind because the brisket was sub par. It was dry and stringy and the fat had not rendered. It had a good smoke flavor but you could tell it was under cooked. Sausage was average and the mac and cheese was good. I know everyone can have an off day and I do plan on going back because so many people have loved it. I hope the new location and them increasing production does not cause their quality to slip.

Tommy, they have moved out of the Farmers Market just recently. Just like anything else, when franchising or expanding a business sometimes the quality goes down? Down here in TX everybody has there favorite BBQ joint. I have heard more people rave about Sonny Bryants and Dickeys, I wouldn't feed either to my dogs! But that's my opinion. I have sent allot of people to Pecan Lodge at the farmers market, nobody has said anything negative. I can't speak for the NEW place though.

Tommy, they have moved out of the Farmers Market just recently. Just like anything else, when franchising or expanding a business sometimes the quality goes down? Down here in TX everybody has there favorite BBQ joint. I have heard more people rave about Sonny Bryants and Dickeys, I wouldn't feed either to my dogs! But that's my opinion. I have sent allot of people to Pecan Lodge at the farmers market, nobody has said anything negative. I can't speak for the NEW place though.

I have never heard anyone say anything negative about the Pecan Lodge. I don't think the brisket I had today was the norm. I think it was just an off day for the brisket... I am going to try again to make sure I give it a fair shake.

Pecan Lodge is one of my favorite places. It was the first really good brisket I'd ever had and inspired me to start cooking it myself. I used to only cook pork. I went for the first time a few weeks ago to the new location and got some of the fatty brisket. I'll say that it was cooked perfectly but one piece was somehow severely oversmoked.

When I was checking out the pits before they opened and I noticed one was just pooring out dirty gray smoke. I didn't see the owner on the visit. When they were at the farmer's market he would go through the line mingling with everyone. My guess is that the quality has slipped a bit and I hate to say it because I love that place and would put up against Franklin on a good day.

I went back to Pecan Lodge yesterday. It was awesome. I guess I hit an off day. Brisket was absolutely phenomenal. I got the pulled pork this time as well. The bits of crust mixed in with the pork combined with their vinegar based sauce was great too.

They do manage to get a lot of people through this place. There was a line when we showed up at about 11:45 or so but it moves very quickly and efficiently. I can't recommend it enough. Dunno what was up when I went last time.

I wrote above in December of 2014 that I was not that impressed with Pecan lodge. As I stated above I wanted to try again to see if they had an off day. I think my hunch was correct. I went back to the lodge yesterday and the brisket was much better. If you look at the brisket in the pic I posted in Dec and below you can definitely tell how much more moist yesterdays brisket was. I don't think it was the best brisket I have ever eaten but it was damn good. I got a 3 meat plate with Brisket/Ribs/Sausage. Brisket was the star of the show (It is Texas). Ribs were cooked perfect! Sausage is home made and was good. If I had to nit pick I think the sausage was a little dry and the casing didn't give you that good snap when you bite into it... Maybe a little more fat content and cook a little hotter? Everything had a great mild Smokey flavor to it. This place is a worth a stop if coming to Dallas.

Back