Making my own sausage(uppdated and done)(thx you know who you are)

Wolgast

TVWBB Olympian
Hi

Im gonna make my own sausage in the near future.
Got everything that i need to do this,and i will be smoking them on the wsm.

I got the "spices" almost done in my head.
But what is good to add to the sausage-mix exept spices to get the right "feel" for it?

I have read alot about this but everyone says different.
And what fat/meat ratio to aim for?

Thx in advance.

Well, it depends on what you're making. Are you making fresh sausage that you will then case then smoke? Or cured sausage? Cured that you will case and smoke? Or cured than you will hang/dry?

Well i was thinking natural casin and then smoke some of them a hard to have like a snack with a beer or 2,and a few just smoke then hit the freezer to put on the grill to cook later on.

//Me

So fresh then. Fat is usually 15-30%. I prefer 20% at least. Usually ~25%.

Depending on the sausage, I often finely chop 20-25% of the meat by hand, grind the rest. I like the texture this gives.

What recipe are you using?

I will keep your fat ratio to around 20 %

Spices something like cayenne,galic and thyme and salt ofc.

Then im not sure if im going to mix it with a bit of onion(grated) and boiled potatoes or if im going to use potatoe flour.

Dont really know what binds best and what the texture will be in the en product.

I will have to try to get a good sausage i guess,and ur posts are a really great help.

//Me

I know you are early in this process but let me throw in my two cents:

1) take your time. I make sure my meat is well chilled before I cut up and grind it. I chill the ground meat before mixing in the spices, and I chill it again before stuffing. The finished sausage sits at least over night in the fridge before and after smoking.

2) have big containers to hold you mix. things get messy really fast if you don't have containers to hold everything.

3) have a dedicated stuffer

4) soak the casings for a few hours. they will become pliable almost right away, but if you use them right away they end up tough

5) mix your sausage well and with plenty of ice water, this helps create the bind and makes your finished sausage have the correct texture. It also makes stuffing easier

6) let the sausage sit for a while uncovered in the fridge, to dry it out and complete the bind. The meat will slowly glue itself together but it doesn't happen right away

good luck, hopefully you can avoid some of my early pitfalls

Thx J

some really helpful tips right there.

Can you J post one of your none comp recipe for sasuage or comp style u can leave out some of ur winning ingridients(will still add after my own taste.

And the same to you K.

Will help alot.

I will start making a small batch to get texture/spices right then when i got it nailed start the real production
icon_wink.gif

Do u add potatoes/onions or P-flour to ur dogs?

Bless

This is the sausage that i get from my butcher,called dynamite(a spice smoked dryed dog)

Perfect for a snack with a cold beer.

Its great,got my natural casings from him.

But im aiming for fresh(thx K) to smoke and some of them goes in the freezer and some left on them smoked hard to get some snack(is it even possible with the same recipe?)

Ty

Bless

I’m a bit reluctant to post any advice, since I’m not at all an expert. Most of what I know about making fresh sausages, I have learned from a former colleague, and he was butcher before he changed occupation.
Some of the important stuff is mentioned already, but I will repeat some of it as it is easyer for me to get the details right.
I usually make my sausages in January or February, since I can get cheap ribs and pork belly.
First of all- keep everything as cool as possible. Put the grinder, bowls, liquids and so forth in the fridge, and keep it there as much as you can. This is partly because of food safety, but also to help the binding process work as it should.
I grind about 60-70% of the meat in the grinder, and cut the rest up using a sharp knife. It’s good to have help doing this cutting, since it is a lot of work. I do not feel the need for a dedicated stuffer, my old Electrolux works just fine as a stuffer i I don't rush it.
I make a “standard” flavour of the ground meat. I give the meat a good spin in my kitchen machine, adding a some water and some salt . Maybe some pepper as well. This is very important, since the salt and the moisture makes the ground meat release some of the proteins. This makes this meat capable of binding juices, flavours and any liquids you put into the finished product. You don’t need to use any potatoes or anything else if you use this method.
I usually make three or four different flavors, so it’s a matter of making smaller portions of the “standard” ground meat.
Then I add the chopped meat and the flavours that I want to use to each portion, and mix well.
I’ve tried to make a lot of different tastes. Some can turn out o be quite awful, but the ones that I usually make, are sausages with basil and garlic, sausages with fried paprika, dried paprika and some union, and sausages with lamb meat, thyme and garlic.
Once I tried to make “luxury cheese and bacon”- sausages. They were bland, and not tasty at all. I used Juniper- smoked bacon (delicious), and extra mature English cheddar. What a disappointment!
Sausages with a healty dose of Ardbeg single malt came out better, quite, “interesting”.. ?
Cranberries and orangepeel (just the orange part)- well, not bad.

If I’m going to freeze the sausages, I cook them for 20 minutes in non- boiling but hot water. They tend to be more juicy when I fry or grill them later, and the keep the nice shape.

If someone can spot any mistakes, feel free to say so. I’m not an expert.

A picture of my sausages, among other things.

Geir those looks great.

And we are neighbors(sweden here)

Interesting to skip the potatoes to make the texture good,how mutch ice water ratio to the mince do u add?

Bless//Me

I see that jblesinger prescribes "plenty". I have added very little, maybe just one or two dl in five kilos. Just enough to make the proteines "wash out" with the salt added. You can see, and feel it, when the ground meat becomes "sticky".
Right now i'm wondering if I should try to use more water to make the sausages more juicy, but if you add too much water, it is released during grilling, and you get some sort of "boiling procedure" during grilling instead of juicy sausages.
I have seen recepies with dry white wine, and the amount of wine is less than 2 dl in a five kilo mix. Not much water, but if you make the mix with salt, it can absorb lots of water.

When i make sausages, the goal is to make good sausages, and not to be able to add as much cheap ingredients, such as water, potatoes, flour, fat, and so on as possible, just to reduce the cost..
icon_smile.gif

I'm sure jblesinger has the same goal as I have, looking forward to a comment on this matter from someone who obviously knows more about this than me.

Geir-- Water is not added to a sausage mix because of proteins - they'll get sticky with out any water. (Many ground meat mixes that are meant to be dense - think of koobideh, a ground lamb mix grilled on skewers, or Greek gyro, on a spit, do not typically contain water. Water is added to facilitate the dissolving of curing ingredients, to hydrate dried herbs, to add moisture, and to give the mix its proper consistency. This can vary depending on the results desired and type of sausage, but a typical ratio would be 2 cups (.47l) to 10 pounds (4.5k) meat.

Many 'cheap' ingredients are not added because they're cheap but because they add flavor, texture, or moisture. Fat is usually added when leaner meat is being used because lean meat doesn't make good sausage. Swedish potato sausage would not be, without potatoes or potato flour. Water is an essential element in numerous sausages, as is nonfat milk powder (as a binder, for flavor, or to provide help with fermentation).

Try increasing the water and see what you think.

Wolfgast-- Is that a cured sausage? Was it kept cold and sold out of a cold case? Or was it at room temp?

I'm trying to find out what type of sausage recipe(s) you'd like.

Wolfgast-- Is that a cured sausage? Was it kept cold and sold out of a cold case? Or was it at room temp?

Well actually he just said that they let it hang for a while so i asumed he ment that it was "dryed" but its not like the italian/french air dryed texture wise.

And this sausage should be keept cold unlike the air dryed frensh/italian.

I am aming for a medium spicy,meaty sausage
with a good texture.

Wolgast, for smoking (using a cure in meat) I start at 130degrees for about an hour to dry the casings, I then increase to 160degrees add the wood until internal temp reaches 152-155degrees. I then pull the sausages and rinse them in cold water until the internal is around 110degrees and then let them sit on the rack for about 30 minutes. I use this method for my Polish Kielbasa, Andouille and any smoked sausage that I use instacure or a similar cure. You can then eat them like that or additional cooking if you prefer. I will admit that for the temperature control I usually use my electric cookshack smoker for my sausages. This is the only time I prefer electric as temperature fluctuations can split your casing etc. Good Luck, Ken

BTW my favorite Polish smokehouse in Hamtramck Michigan, a city after World WarII that was about 100% Polish immigrants gave me one secret and one secret only. I love the flavor profile of their smoke and when the owner wasn't there his son told me they use cherry, apple and hickory mix unlike many shops that use hickory only.

Thx Ken.

Wow i thought ill make my own sausage how hard can it be.

But after reading all ur posts i guess ill be happy if i even can eat the end product.

Great comment´s comming from u all,ill try to work all of this into 1 sucessful run.

And i will keep u all updated,will do this on 24/7 as it stands,first day im off from work.

Thx all

Bless//Me

Wow i thought ill make my own sausage how hard can it be.

But after reading all ur posts i guess ill be happy if i even can eat the end product.

It's really not that hard to make fresh sausage, the advice you've been given is mostly more along the lines of refinements to really get it dialed in. There's also many kinds of sausage and like BBQ many approaches will produce tasty results even if mine is different than yours.

Personally I make Italian/Sicilian sausage now and again (the kind with fennel) and it's really straightforward and good. There's some grated cheese in there which is kind of interesting. If you google you'll find lots of similar recipes.

As I said, I am not very trained at this. But as long as you keep things cold, keep air out of the sausages, it's not that difficult to make sausages that tastes different from store- bought products. I know Swedes have a wider selection to choose from than your Norwegian neighbours, but none the less- my guests have never complained about my feeble attempts. I usually share my cooking mistakes with others
icon_smile.gif

It's more work than extremley difficult.

Again- keep the temperatures down, and let the finished sausages rest. Good luck.

One more thing- try to fry some small meatballs of the sausage stuffing, and compare to the same mix inside a sausage. You will be amazed! Sausages are very special, and well worth trying.

I was basing my advice on some advice that was given to me by Bryan:

Rytek's book lists 1 lb./16oz/1 pint, depending on how you measure, for evey 10 lbs. of sausage. I like to weigh, as most measuring devices aren't that accurate. The water just makes it pack nicer, and eliminate those air pockets.

here's the full thread.

I started using more water to help with mixing and stuffing. The resulting mix is not wet by any means but flows better with less air. I now let the sausage hang in the fridge for 24-48 hrs before freezing. Hanging seems to dry them out and really establish the bind.

Can you J post one of your none comp recipe for sasuage

here's a recipe that I did recently that I thought came out really well, and will satisfy your spicy requirement:

2250 g pork
40 g salt
6 g cure #1
16 g ancho powder
16 g smoked paprika
5 g chipotle powder
2 g granulated garlic
3 g red wine vinegar

Back