Rib Racks?

mosesbotbol

Been using the Weber rib racks for years and do not like them. I find the sides are not very high and that ribs flop over to the side.

Is there a rib rack that has higher sides so spare ribs stay perfectly vertical?

Never used this one but looks pretty nice. I'm pretty sure the pic in the link shows spares in the rack and they are not flopping over.

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-R...rbecue/dp/B000AXQAIS

Here's another link of I think the same rack. Looks like baby backs in this one. Very high sides. Looks nice. Looks like it's on a WSM too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...12DF5EWH0H29GWAVAW1N

wsmsmile8gm.gif

I've had that Steven R rack for quite a while. Picked it up at BB&B off the CL shelf for about a sawbuck.
It does work nicely for spares, but advertising it as non-stick is a bit of a stretch. Oh and clean-up is a real PITA even after using a non-stick spray.

Tim

I've had that Steven R rack for quite a while. Picked it up at BB&B off the CL shelf for about a sawbuck.
It does work nicely for spares, but advertising it as non-stick is a bit of a stretch. Oh and clean-up is a real PITA even after using a non-stick spray.

Tim

Give the Raichlen rack a pass. Sizewise, it is just what you are looking for but you will curse it (if you don't curse, believe me, you will start!) when it comes to the clean-up. It is a real bear.

Dan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George L:
I think all rib racks are a PITA to clean... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point! They have more nooks and cranny's than an English Muffin.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George L:
I think all rib racks are a PITA to clean... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point! They have more nooks and cranny's than an English Muffin.

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I soak em in hot Dawn dish soap water. I usaully let mine sit overnight. Then I use a greem Scotch Brite pad, the one that's only about a 1/4" thick, no sponge on the other side which makes it very flexible for all the hard to reach areas, and the gunk comes right off. My Klose rib racks are stainless steel. YMMV.

I just leave mine on the grass next to the deck... possums or some criters must lick em clean or something, cause the next morning they look like new... ready to go for next cook
icon_cool.gif

I bought some spares to throw on this weekend and I've been eyeballing the two Weber models. There's a store down from my work that carries both. Which one (or both) is the one y'all are saying is making floppy ribs?
Is it the standard rack (Model #6406):
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-64...id=1249337345&sr=8-1
Or is it the "Style" edition (Model #6453):
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-64...id=1249337345&sr=8-2

It seems to me that unless somebody makes a rack much wider than anything I've seen, the ribs will likely be floppy unless cut in half, but I may be wrong. As far as the Reichlen rib-holder I've seen it down here and it looks kinda flimsy. Judging from the quality of some of his others items, it looks like Reichlen is throwing his name at alot of less than stellar products.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Ralph,And it's environmentally friendly also!!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thats a great point Paul... Ralph is going green
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks, Ralph. That first one has a small picture, but it looks good. I guess if it comes down to it, I might have to order that one and just cook this set of ribs with no rack.

I have a poultry v shaped rack for my roasting pan. I found a trick else where on the site to just turn it upside down and viola rib rack.

MATT, I know that pic is small; it almost kept me from ordering it.... I will try to take a pic for you of mine... it is perfect size for WSM...It is
18.5" long
11.0" wide
3.375" high dividers
It has 8 2" spaces for rib racks
PLUS you could easily use the space in front of the first divider for a full rack... thereby giving you 9 racks, 3 whole cryovacs??? so if you wanted to start a BBQ RIB Company LOL... you could do 9 on top 9 on lower rack... but then you would need a business license
icon_biggrin.gif

Perfect for 9/18 racks of ribs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mosesbotbol:
Been using the Weber rib racks for years and do not like them. I find the sides are not very high and that ribs flop over to the side.

Is there a rib rack that has higher sides so spare ribs stay perfectly vertical? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am not sure perfectly vertical is the best solution; in fact I think a slight lean or angle with the thick side up is a far better solution IMHO

the $10 rack sold at Home Depot isn't ideal either...I bought it for my dad and like most, the ends of the ribs will flop over slightly. Even between the rib rack ends, the ribs will make contact with those on either side, preventing even smoking and cooking. It holds six racks, but I'd only recommend using every other slot to keep the meat completely separated.

It's almost worthwhile to build your own...more fun too.

Back