BBQ Corned Beef?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I have an extra corned beef in the freezer from St. Patrick's Day. Can those things be cooked on the grill or WSM or do they always have to be boiled?

Smoking it will give you, essentially, pastrami, depending on rub used.

(I pretty much never boil corned beef.)

If they are the same as we have in Australia you can Roast, Smoke, Grill or combination.
I do one in a roasting pan with ginger beer, ginger, and cinnamon covered with foil and simmered on the Q220 for 2 hours, I then remove it from the pan top with marmalade and pepper and cook indirectly for 45 minutes.

Regards

I did a 5lb one Saturday using a coffee/chocolate rub (I think I found the recipe here) but w/o using the salt in the recipe. It turned out great.

I recommend giving it a brief soak (3-4 hours) in water to leach out some of the salt if you plan on using a dry roasting technique such as smoking.

I like to bake corned beef and notice they tend to be too salty, so now I soak them before I roast them.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I don't know, my wife always simmered them on the stove with potatos, cabbage and carrots. That's the only way I ever had it. When doing it on the grill or smoker what internal temperature should I look for? And is it better low and slow or high heat?

do you know what cut it is? they are typically briskets (flats or points) but I have seen rounds.

Either way you will have to take it past well done to get it tender.

low and slow is not necessary. High heat approach will work here, and foiling at some point will help things along.

I recommend glazing it with a mixture of mustard, brown sugar, black pepper, coriander and garlic. you can use a similar themed rub.

Apparently the way I eat corned beef is not very popular. I want to do something different with it so if any of you have recipes I would welcome them. I don't care if it is in an oven or grill or whatever.

Actually, the way you eat it is typical.

Try Chris's recipe here as a starting point. From there you can:

-- alter the rub

-- cook at a higher temp, foiling at ~160; ccok till tender

-- finish as a braise (smoking first till ~160 then adding aromatics and liquid(s) and wrapping all in foil; cook till tender

-- finish with a glaze

-- various combinations of the above

Thanks Kevin, I'll try that. Do you do the fork test (twisting) when checking for tenderness or go by temperature?

Back