Knife Suggestions

I can give you one I purchased and don't recommend. Guy Fieris' flame knives....don't hold a edge very good.

The old adage " You get what you pay for " is never truer than when buying knifes. Some would say " I would never pay $150 for a knife " and than in a 3 year time frame buy 3 knifes for $50 each. Now with that said, if you don't take care of your knifes like the very special tool that they are, just buy the least expensive you can find. There is a learning curve to sharpening and caring for a good knife. I suggest you shorten that curve on an inexpensive knife and than buy yourself the best knife you can afford. For me the Messermeister Meridian Elite is my tool of choice. Good luck and good smoking.

I recently stopped in restaurant supply shop. I got an 8" chef's knife for $18. I like it. It definitely isn't a forged knife, but i don't get hung up on stuff like that. The brand name was Mercer

America's Test Kitchen routinely tests all types of kitchen/cooking equipment and their top rated Chef's knife is the modestly priced Victorinox 8" Swiss Army Fibrox Chef’s Knife - click on Chris's amazon link at the home page and check it out - $39.95.

ATK: "Still the best—and a bargain—after 20 years, this knife’s “super-sharp” blade was “silent” and “smooth,” even as it cut through tough squash, and it retained its edge after weeks of testing. Its textured grip felt secure for a wide range of hand sizes, and thanks to its gently rounded edges and the soft, hand-polished top spine, we could comfortably choke up on the knife for “precise,” “effortless” cuts."

America's Test Kitchen routinely tests all types of kitchen/cooking equipment and their top rated Chef's knife is the modestly priced Victorinox 8" Swiss Army Fibrox Chef’s Knife - click on Chris's amazon link at the home page and check it out - $39.95.

ATK: "Still the best—and a bargain—after 20 years, this knife’s “super-sharp” blade was “silent” and “smooth,” even as it cut through tough squash, and it retained its edge after weeks of testing. Its textured grip felt secure for a wide range of hand sizes, and thanks to its gently rounded edges and the soft, hand-polished top spine, we could comfortably choke up on the knife for “precise,” “effortless” cuts."
That was the one that I was looking for, when the guy turned my on to the Mercer. I decided to buy local. I like the shape and feel. I really like the handle/grip. I haven't had it long enough to evaluate edge retention. It seems no one stock victornox locally. I usually try to find a local supply before Amazon, but Amazon is fine.

Interesting Brett. ATK did include the Mercer in it's group of tested knives and it came in 3rd Place and as "recommended" vs. "highly recommended" as was the Victorinox.

Comparatively per ATK the Victorinox got 3 stars of of 3 in all areas tested - Handle, Blade Design, Kitchen Tasks and Edge Retention. The Mercer received the following star grades 2 Handle, 2.5 Blade design, 2.5 Kitchen Tasks and 2 Edge Retention.

ATK had this as comments on the Mercer: "This knife’s blade was “sturdy” and “plenty sharp”—splitting bone is “no problem,” one tester said—and its curve “rocked well.” However, we deducted minor points for a semisharp spine that dug into a few testers’ hands. Some testers liked that the “heavier handle” felt “solid” and “nicely balanced”; others did not prefer the “heft.”

I have a set of wusthoffs that i got from www.sierratradingpost.com for a pretty nice price. So far they have held up nicely and i have no complaints. I believe they still have them and with the easy to find 30% additional off coupons it is a really good deal.

I have a set of wusthoffs that i got from www.sierratradingpost.com for a pretty nice price. So far they have held up nicely and i have no complaints. I believe they still have them and with the easy to find 30% additional off coupons it is a really good deal.
Never thought of Sierra Trading Post. I've bought clothing from them before.

The old adage " You get what you pay for " is never truer than when buying knifes. Some would say " I would never pay $150 for a knife " and than in a 3 year time frame buy 3 knifes for $50 each. Now with that said, if you don't take care of your knifes like the very special tool that they are, just buy the least expensive you can find. There is a learning curve to sharpening and caring for a good knife. I suggest you shorten that curve on an inexpensive knife and than buy yourself the best knife you can afford. For me the Messermeister Meridian Elite is my tool of choice. Good luck and good smoking.

I used to feel the same way. I say get what feels good to you. I have some really expensive knives and the ones I use the most cost me about $5 each. After about a year I toss them out and buy me some more. Other people have used my knives and either hate them or really like them

Has anyone had any experience using an electric sharpener?

So there are a few different things about sharpening a blade. One is that most times all a blade needs is honing. This is why you see the chefs doing on the steel. It is basically getting the edge straight again and not doing the sharpening. As far as sharpening goes i have not used an electric sharpener but i have a wusthoff sharpener that does a good job. It has two sets of notches, one for sharpening and one for honing. I haven;t used the sharpening edge on my wusthoffs yet but i have on other knives and it has done a good job. If i was looking to truly resharpen the blade i would probably take it somewhere to have it done as it is easy to screw up a blade and sharpening is relatively cheap.

I recently picked up a Messermeister 12-Inch Ceramic Rod Knife Sharpener & it's brought my years-old cheap (favorite) knives back.

Here's the scanned instructions, I'm sure there's better on youtube but......

1618610_10201483412269118_30980169_n.jpg

I have a very nice hand made middleton made knife, some vitroinox forshners, and others-- victorinox is the best value and seem to be great. I have the curved boning knife and the slicer. higher end knifes look cooler, my middleton is a piece of art, the victorinoxs are more functional especially for bbq because of the textured handle that you can grip with even when wet. I am getting a set of Shuns soon, they will just be for around the house and more victorinoxs for the bbq stuff i do

Those Middletons look really nicely made, Hamilton. If I were in the market for a custom chefs knife, I'd order one from them. Carbon steel and American made.

It is great, really really nice- I just have the paring knife-which is more of a mini chefs knife compared to other paring knives. I use it so much, but it does have to be taken care of. Very nice and made just a few hours from where I live!!

Back