Best Competition BBQ sauce for Pork Ribs

andrew j murphy

I am preparing for a yearly neighborhood ribs contest and this year I am bringing my secret weapon, WSM! I am just going back and forth on what BBQ sauce to use. The winner last year used a sweet glaze... I think mustard, syrup, honey type... so I know the judges like sweet.

If you had one sauce recipe for your competition ribs, what one would you choose? Side not what rub would you compliment it with (and how much rub to use).

Welcome to the board Andrew!

Since this is a comp and you mentioned that last year's winner used a sweet sauce, I guess I won't try to talk you out of using a sauce...

The fact is most judges at comps do like the sweet sauce. My problem is that sort of sauce masks the flavor of the meat. You may as well smear sweet sauce on a piece of cardboard...

OK, I'm off my soapbox. You want to win, so play by their rules. What many people use is a combination of their favorite sauce, homemade or store bought, and combine 1 part honey to 3 parts sauce. Only add the sauce at the VERY end (like minutes before pulling the ribs) as all the sugar in that sauce will burn if left over the heat too long. Some people prefer a toned down 'glaze' applied to ribs minutes before removing from the smoker; I like that style. I can't be of much help on a specific sauce recipe; there's a bunch on this board here. There are as many 'best' and 'favorite' sauces as there are cooks. Choose something you like and have fun. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Paul

Back