Mini-WSM on Fire!

Max

TVWBB Member
Here is my WSM build...fairly straightforward, I used the vasconia tamale pot as the body and for the diffuser I used a terracotta saucer bolted to the steamer tray. I drilled a bunch more holes in the steamer tray as well. Finished it all off with some red highlights on the vents and flames with the VHT annodizing paint, then a couple coats of VHT black bbq paint....I have a 22 wsm so this will be used for my smaller smokes. prob pork butts and chicken. i will prob use a foil pan sitting on the 2nd grate most cooks to catch drippings. I havent added the tuna-can to prevent ash clogging yet, but i plan to. pics below...

qV1gkiPl.jpg

Terracotta saucer about to be drilled
XG9zhScl.jpg

knob for top vent
mf2rZ6pl.jpg

modded handle for bottom vents
Mgv4jv8l.jpg

5Z4yIrpl.jpg

painting the body
wpzeAyll.jpg

drew up some flames on sticky paper...didn't know if it work, but it didn't turn out too bad...

pbzzraIl.jpg

89OB0kvl.jpg

oB7aFJal.jpg

Last edited:
continued....

painted the legs and ashpan as well...

39DvADPl.jpg

used stainless steel hardware to hold up the grates...

lwkrWerl.jpg

found some nice SS spacers that hold the grates perfectly...

XDfvGBpl.jpg

diffuser set up...the steamer lid sets perfectly on the pots ridge

XbZFqsYl.jpg

and a simple charcoal ring made out of expanded metal...

aJAL4h5l.jpg

I plan to do a dry run soon and then probably throw on a pork butt...thanks for looking!

Last edited:
That's a nice looking rig. I'll be interested to hear how well your diffuser/terracotta configuration works out.

Looks real nice. That's a cool method of hanging the diffuser. I hope your clay saucer lasts longer than mine did. Mine cracked in half after only my second cook which happened to be high heat for chicken... I've just been using a metal cake pan since then.

Max;
After doing several cooks on the Mini-Joe, I am extremely impressed with how efficient these smokers are. The capacity is kind of amazing and the quality of the food from them is absolutely top drawer.

You'll LOVE the little feller, and so will your family and guests!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back