Should a brass brush leave a brass color?

Craig A

TVWBB Fan
I bought a knockoff of the weber triangle brush that Lowes had it on clearance. The brush leaves a golden color on the cast iron grate of my Q200.

Is this coloring normal from a brass brush on a cast iron grate? Does the genuine Weber brush do this?

I was reading on a different forum about refinishing cast iron cookware and someone mentioned that brass will discolor the iron.

They said to use stainless steel scrubbie pads called
'Chore Boys'" or someting like that.

I bet a stainless brush would be ok too.

George, why would you worry about stainless steel? Weber recommends using a steel brush on their cast iron grates.

I picked up a brass brush based on recommendations here, but it hasn't gotten off some stubborn grit from my first cook (burned sesame seeds from sesame tuna). I'm probably going to switch from brass to ss when I get a chance to pick up a new brush.

cuz i read/heard somewhere, maybe here, that using a tough metal scrubber, etc would damage the porcelain. if i'm wrong then great, i try to learn everyday.

I only recommended the SS because the question was about cast iron not porcelain coated.

I had in the past read on a cast iron cookware forum that a brass brush will discolor the iron. There they recommend stainless.

This is of course for non porcelain coated iron.

And any "hard"scrubbing of plain cast iron will remove seasoning as well. The folks on that site also recommend not using any cleaners or soaps as this will also affect the seasoning in a bad way.

I do not own any C.I. Grates. Just cookware. I have not used brass on it but have used stainless and it worked fine and did not discolor the iron.

YMMV.

On porcelain-coated cast iron, a brass brush is recommended. On stainless steel, either a stainless brushhead or a scrubber. On uncoated cast iron, a stainless steel brush is best. New to board, but been selling webers for a while now. This is fromy Weber rep.

Back