Temperature difference

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Like others here, I bid on, and won a Tel-Tru BBQ Thermometer #BQ300 100/500F Industrial NIB on ebay about 10 days ago. Nice, large dial thermometer.
while smoking a rack of spares this past Sunday, I thought I'd stick it in the top vent to see if there was a difference between it and the stock Weber therm mounted on the dome.
There was/is. 30 degrees.
The Tel-Tru read 255' while the stock Weber read 225'. I kept it on for well over two hours and as the Weber therm rose, so did the Tel-Tru...
240' to 270'.
I am believing the Tel-Tru therm over the Weber therm... perhaps the reason my butts are getting done in an hour per pound. Thinking I had the WSM at 255' it was indeed at 285'.
Any thoughts....?

Obvious question. Have you calibrated the Tru-Temp? To see if it is the accurate one or not. What you are saying about temps seeming to be higher in the WSM than what is registering on the stock thermometer makes sense, but might as well confirm your secondary thermometer is accurate before you make any changes to your cooking times and temps.

I did the 212' test, looked good to me...
and I'm not planning on changing any temps or times... haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood)...
icon_biggrin.gif

Tested both the Tel-Tru thermometer and the stock Weber off my 18" WSM side-by-side in boiling water.
From this photo (not an easy task with all the steam in the camera's lens), it looks like the Weber is approximately 10' lower than the Tel-Tru.
A difference of ten degrees is really no big concern... but with the Weber therm off the lid now, I may open the hole and fit the Tel-Tru in it's place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect reply.

I recently got a Mav. ET-73 probe thermometer. In the last smoke, it read nearly 30*F hotter than the built-in WSM thermometer. I have the feeling that the Weber thermometers read a bit cold. This would explain why my previous smoke of a 13 lb brisket cooked in 12 hours at "225*F".

Back