Remote thermometer wireless questions

Vince B

TVWBB Pro
I was thinking about getting one of these with multiple probes and the transmitter. I have read some good and bad reviews on the maverick ones. Some have had issues with the reciever and also the distance that it transmits. I am looking to get one to use at the shop I work at. With sinderblock walls I am a little concerned. What are your thoughts and what really works? Thanks in advance. Vince

I own a Maverick ET-73. My house has cinder block walls and I've never had any reception problem with it. However, I should say that I have never had send a signal through a solid wall. All of our house's walls have windows.

I also have the ET-73. My WSM is out on my patio, which is pretty big. The transmission distance for mine is limited in my experience but my bedroom is on the back of the house (brick), next to the patio. On overnights I just set the receiver on the window sill of the bedroom. Works great. If I put the receiver on my nightstand next to the bed the reception is sporadic at best. When not doing overnights, I set the receiver in a window of our laundry room (also on the back of the house, next to the patio). I can hear the alarms, but can't see the receiver, from the comforts of my Lazyboy. So, the cinder blocks may pose a problem for you.

As a side note, I think that setting the alarms for a temperature range, only taking action when the alarms go off rather than constantly monitoring the cooker temp by looking at the digital display, has made my finished products better. When I first got the ET-73 I carried it around with me and stressed over every degree change in temp of the cooker. I was constantly adjusting vents and "yoyoing" the temps. Now if I want to cook between 220 and 250 I set the low temp alarm for 200 and the high alarm for 270. Once dialed in the WSM usually settles around 240...without any further adjustments needed. So not being able to see the receiver has been a good thing, IMHO.

I like my Maverick the only place i cant go in my house with it is the basement. I am finding that the more i cook with it the less i fret over it kinda like what Don is saying. Now its more peice of mind than constant monitoring.

Thanks for the replies. I just bought a weber one from the local ACE hardware. I will get a better one but my old cheap-o version is MIA and I was really needing one. I will have to see how it works in the morning when I'm closer to having to have to use it. I have some pork shoulders on the WSM and I was in a jam! I figure it did come with a remote so at least I have an upgraded one from my old one! Vince

Back