Thermoworks MTC what do you think?

Dale Nichols

TVWBB Super Fan
I thought about getting this instead of a Thermapen. More versatility with the K probes. But on the other hand folding is nice to.

If you have one tell me what you think about it.

Oh and on another forum one guy says the probe stays in the meat when you check it and it takes two hands.

I have the MTC with both a straight probe and a cabled probe. I also have a thermopen. Both appear to be accurate and fast.

The MTC has the advantage of being more versatile, although my initial expectation of using the cabled probe to monitor cooking temps proved 'not so good' as the MTC shuts off automatically after a short period. The cabled probe does take two hands but the straight probe is one-hand operation. You should not have a problem with the straight probe getting stuck in the meat; just hold the probe connector when removing the unit.

The thermopen has the advantage of being very portable. I would not want to put the MTC with probe attached in my pocket, for example.

As to which is better, I'll just say that I use the thermopen about 10X more often than the MTC.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick,
I was thinking of getting the Pro Kit which the MTC could be the Thermapen and also be used as an additional meat probe. I have the ET 73 which lets me monitor one meat so the other grate does not get monitored. Just plug it in towards the end of the cook and get a reading. The big question like you said is not being able to put it in your pocket. Maybe just use the 8060 for both meats and forget the grate temp. To many choices!

Back