I Want to Watch the Food Cook

AlanPrichard

Howdy. I am building a mini WSM thanks to all your invaluable posts. It's mostly done, but I want a window on mine. Ovens and microwaves have them, why can't we see our food cook?. I'm thinking of picking up a cheapo Craigslist toaster oven and mounting the glass vertically on the steamer. Combining curved and flat surfaces in metal for the mount is challenging and I'm not sure my welding and metal forming skills are sufficient.

Has anyone out there put a window on their smoker?

That is a very interesting idea. I can't say it hasn't been done, but I have certainly never seen it. Based on how the inside of my smokers look, I don't think you're going to be able to see in there for long... don't let that discourage you though!

You intrigued me, I just looked at my toaster oven and oddly enough the door has a slight curve to it that just might match up with the mini LoL

I would think you would need a light on the inside to see the food cook, just to begin with, just like a oven. I don't see the coals omitting enough light on the inside to illuminate the mini. I guess if you had a large window it may work.

Or use a glass lid from a cookware. But you'll have problems with the exhaust vent.
Regardless, it'll be smokey inside so you'll probably have a hard time seeing anything through the glass.

Unless you are willing to clean the glass after every smoke it isn't going to work.

Cooking without wood might get you a few cooks before it clouds over.

Since your in Santa Barbara get yourself a Santa Maria Pit, you can watch all you want with one of those!!!

I think it's a great idea, but I do not see it working... I think the window would get covered with grease and crud way too quickly. In addition, when I pop the lid on my smoker to put the meat on, it take a few seconds for the smoke to clear to see the grate.

Might be like looking out a plane window when flying through the clouds.

Let us know how it turns out if you go ahead with it!

Thanks for all the responses folks. It sounds like I need to settle for a probe telling me cook temp. I'd hate to to go to all the trouble only to be looking at a crud covered piece of glass.

BTW John, whenever I'm passing near Santa Maria I need only drive around until I see smoke. There's always parking lot tri tip to be had in north county. Not so much in Santa Barbara, alas. Too highbrow I guess.

Built in insane curiosity with every weber! I've figured out that I can use a bright led flashlight and shine through one vent hole while I crank my neck around and get my chin and cheek dangerously close to the hot lid and peek through another vent hole. Took some trial but I can get a good look at my meats this way even during the light of day. Because you might already know my sign-off:

Don't lift the lid.... !

Back