Beef round eye

Vinny G

TVWBB Fan
I look for a some tips on Smoking a Beef round eye,and I have to say people wrote that it not the best to smoke. Ok that said I had bought the meat already and it was going to be the first thing on the 18 WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif
It came out better than I thought. A little dry but that was my fault. Kept it on to long. I kept it simple.
One hole garlic crushed up and cut into beef and just stuck it in all over.
Olive oil spread it all over it.
Kosher salt sprinkled all over the beef
Black pepper sprinkled all over the beef
Yellow onion cut 3 to 4 slices and put it on top of Beef
Fresh Rosemarie one stem broken up a bit and put on top
Put it on a plate and covered it with saran wrap over night
Got WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif
up to 200-250
Used water in the pan
Put Beef on though 3 pieces of mystique and smoked
I let it stay on to long should of took it off when inside temps where 140.
We ate it sweet potatoes and dip the beef in a teriyaki sauce.

On this recipe I didn't measurer I just used my judgment.
All in all it was a good meal! The WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif
work great.

Try taking it off at 130*. You'll get a bump in temp during the rest. If the center is about 140* when you pull it, by the time you cut into it, the meat will be too well done and therefore tough. The more pink inside, the better. Eye round is not a good candidate for smoking because it is so lean.

I think conventional wisdom is to cook this piece of meat at higher temperatures, because it is so lean. However, on Cook's Country (or America's Test Kitchen) they recently roasted this kind of roast low and slow in the oven. In fact, they turned the oven off for the last part of the cook. Of course they seared the meat before they began roasting it. I'm not sure if a reverse-sear would have worked as well, or not.

Thanks guys
Dave if I ever make it again I will take it off at 130.
Tony I read that on a thread about slow and low and searing. But I just had left overs tonight and my wife but teriyaki sauce on it and heated it up in the micro. Much more smokey taste to it and good meal.
Talk to you Thanks again Happy Smoking
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony N.:
I think conventional wisdom is to cook this piece of meat at higher temperatures, because it is so lean. However, on Cook's Country (or America's Test Kitchen) they recently roasted this kind of roast low and slow in the oven. In fact, they turned the oven off for the last part of the cook. Of course they seared the meat before they began roasting it. I'm not sure if a reverse-sear would have worked as well, or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they dry-brined it with salt overnight. Add three tablespoons of kosher salt to a eye round in a plastic bag. Store overnight in the fridge.

Pat dry and oven roast at 250 until it hits 115, then turn the oven off and leave it in util it hits 130.

I just did this roast in the WSM tonight after seeing the Americas Test Kitchen episode and it was really good and was coming out to post the results when I saw this thread.

It really had a nice flavor and was a really easy roast to make.

The modifications to this recipe is I did the cook in the WSM then moved it to a preheated oven @ 225 degrees and then turned the oven off for the rest of the cook. While the eye of the round isn't necessarily my favorite roast for tenderness it did have a great flavor. I dont see alot of top sirloin roasts but I bet that this recipe would be great with one or even possibly a stip loin. The value in this was no waste and I paid 1.99/lb at costco for it.

Heres the low down

1 boneless eye-round roast (3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds) 4 teaspoons kosher salt or 2 teaspoons table salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil plus 1 tablespoon
2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1. Sprinkle all sides of roast evenly with salt. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 18 to 24 hours.

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 225 degrees. Pat roast dry with paper towels; rub with 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle all sides evenly with pepper. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until starting to smoke. Sear roast until browned on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer roast to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Roast until meat-probe thermometer or instant-read thermometer inserted into center of roast registers 115 degrees for medium-rare, 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours, or 125 degrees for medium, 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours.

3. Turn oven off (this is where I moved it back to a preheated conventional oven) leave roast in oven, without opening door, until meat-probe thermometer or instant-read thermometer inserted into center of roast registers 130 degrees for medium-rare or 140 degrees for medium, 30 to 50 minutes longer. Transfer roast to carving board and let rest 15 minutes. Slice meat crosswise as thinly as possible and serve.

Back