Maverick suspect on temps

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Greetings and Happy New Year
Got a new Maverick 732 from Santa and I suspect it’s off on its readings. Our oven cooks time wise almost perfect, but when it’s set on 325 the Maverick reads about 275-280. I will do the ice water and boiling test but we are between 4700-5000 ft so I’ll be looking at 202-203 for the boil test.
My question is how much variation would be acceptable in the Maverick and has anyone else had problems with the Mavericks accuracy.
Thanks in advance for your input.

EDIT
Did the boiling test and ice water test today. The boiling test was within 1 degree of what I thought it should be at this altitude so that was good, the ice water test the food probe read 39 and the BBQ read 37 and my digital thermometer read 35 close enough. I will try the other suggestions that you folks gave me batteries, moving the probe to where the thermostat is in the oven, but it doesn’t appear to be any real problem with the Maverick.
Thanks for all your comments.

Last edited:
I recently bought a Maverick 732 and had this problem as well. I took out the batteries it shipped with, installed new batteries, and the Maverick showed proper temps in the boiling water and ice water tests for me.

Hopefully this works for you too.

I have not had any problems with my Maverick accurate from day one, I'm sure they will take care of you if there is a problem.

Rich,

Do your oven test again but this time put the Maverick probe as close to the oven thermostat element as you can. There can be a variation between where the element is and grates below it. I bought my step son a Maverick for Christmas and we tried it out on a turkey. Cooked the turkey on the lower grate @ 325 setting on the oven thermostat and the readings at the bird pretty much mirrored what you got.

Back