calling all redhead q owners

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
as some may know, i seem to have issues with black spots on/in my lid paint. i would like to ask all of you to closely check yer paint for these spots. they are very very small but spread out rather evenly all over the lid paint. wanna know if there is a issue or if its just a rare problem. thanks,

George,
I uncovered mine to check it, and no black spots, missing paint, etc.
As good as the day I bought it, middle of last year.

mine is 2 years old. i just went out to check further and it seems to me to be orse. you can see thousands of these little holes that seem yto be eating into the paint. covers the whole lid. to say i'm upset is to be the biggest understatement of the year. they want pics but i can't photo something that small. i guess i'm just gonna send it to weber. course they will say i caused it. so as of now i officially will not buy any more weber products.

George, sorry I haven't been around here lately but I will check mine this weekend and get back to you.

I looked at mine when I was refurbishing it and noticed that the red finish inside the lid around the edge came off very easily with light pressure using a stainless steel wire brush. Mine doesn't have any black spots.

My son has mine at school,but last weekend we went tailgating & looked at it, no problem.
Might be an isolated event in yours not a widespread occurrence.

IMG_2860.jpg

I hate to rub it in, but have you tried rubbing it out?
IMG_2857.jpg

there are actually black spots that a re digging/eating into the paint. all over the cover evenly. there are also what appears to be silver/aluminum pieces sticking through the paint. i tried polishing, buffing and easy off,
no differance. compared to when i first noticed it to the last time i looked it seems to have gotten worse. been covered with a genuine weber cover since near new and was covered by a blanket from the first day i had it out.

Have you called more than once for this problem? I called about a lid problem w/ my WSM and the first person wanted photos. I called later that morning and that person warrantied the lid and sent it out the door for me. Sorry to hear they aren't helping you out, I have had good luck with them.

George, I hate to be late to weigh in on this, but I checked mine and it is OK. Only blemish is where I let the lid raise up against a brick retaining wall a year or so ago and there was a scrape on the lid about the size of a pencil eraser. I touched it up with High Temp red paint and it didn't match exactly, but it's close enough that I don't notice it unless the grill is out in the sun.

I, too, am sorry that Weber is jerking you around on this. That isn't the customer service level I've grown used to from Weber. Have you asked to elevate it to a supervisor? What would it take to make you happy? They may not have any replacement red lids in stock since that appears to have been a one year run. Would you be satisfied with a new lid in the "standard" beige color? I think I would try to "elevate" the issue up the ladder.

Tell them they are kinda getting trashed over here on the board because of their non-responsiveness and now some long-time supporters are starting to wonder if the fabled Weber customer service is going the way of the do-do bird........

Good luck - don't give up -

BTW, I decided to buy a replacement burner and regulator for my Q220. Do I need them? No. But if one or the other decides to boink out, I don't want to be "down" while I have to order another set from Weber.

Pat

Pat, the way the burner is protected from dripping by the design of the grate I don't expect the burner to need replacing very often.

George there could be some environmental causes for the etching you're seeing on your grill. Do you leave it outside uncovered all year?

thanks guys. i'll probably persue it later. i got nothing nice to say yet. the q has been fully covered after the first week. before that it had a blanket on it. i havn't looked at it for a long time cuz it just upsets me.

John - I expect the burner to last a very long time - and when it bites the dust, I'll have another one ready! I like to have at least two of everything - except my wife!

Pat

George - I forgot - did you buy that Q220 Redhead off of eBay from Ace Hardware Closeouts or did you get it somewhere else?

Pat

i bought it full selling price from fresno ag who are a weber dealer. so should not be a warranty issue. i talked to them yesterday and they did wonder what was going on with weber.

George I hate to bring up an old (sore) issue but I was in the garage doing some housekeeping and remembered this thread and took some pictures of my red Q and is this what you are seeing?

yes. i have a lot more of those black spots. they are into the paint. i also have silver spots coming out of the paint, almost like aluminum spikes. you have a nice pick. let me know what weber says. thanks for the pic.

Back