Smoking smaller butts question

AaronH

TVWBB Member
Ok this is a random question. The butcher I get my butts from has butts around 7-8lbs each and I usually get two (no bone) in a single pack. He is local and good for a quick fix. Still need to find a local place where I can get bone in butts
icon_wink.gif

I want to do some practice butts and mess around with some different flavors, rubs, etc but don't want to cook 4 big butts (esp since I'm just testing out new stuff).

Would cutting them in half (or close as I can) mess up the end results? I know cooking time will be faster due to the smaller size and will keep an eye on that, but will it just ruin the butts in the end?

Basically I want to cook two with one type of wood, two with another, 4 different rubs and 2 different injections, etc. so if I have to do full butts not only is that going to be more money it's going to be a lot of meat.

Thanks!!

I have no clue, BUTT will be watching this closely! I too am turning into a mad scientist, this is the best hobby ever!!!

Just wondering when one of us members will end up owning our own livestock farm, HA!

No problem, you'll just end up with more bark. If you cut them too small you could possibly end up with all bark and no pork to pull which would be dry. Having said that two - four pound pieces would be fine.

Clark

I'm with Clark, I don't think you'll have any problems except for the possibility of winding up with too much bark if you cut 'em too small.

Cool thanks for the info.

I may get 2 and cut one in half and leave the other be. I would hate to have em all be dried and bark. Really wouldn't be a good control test if they come out all bark and dried. Or I'll bite the bullet and spend the extra money and just get 3 or 4 regular size ones.

Whatever I decide to do I will post up info/pics.

Aaron, just leave them whole. I find that people will eat the BBQ like savages, even if I am not totally happy with the recipe.

Jamie

Leftovers? I've heard this word before,but still not sure what it means!
icon_biggrin.gif
Just kidding. I can always find someone to either take the leftovers after the missus and I eat our fill,or I know the guys at work will devour whatever I take in on monday! Let us know how the "experiment" turns out.

Back