Which size to buy...

Erik Snyder

TVWBB Fan
I'd like some advice on trying to decide if I need a 22 or can I get by with the 18.5. We have a family of 5, but the kids really don't eat Barbeque yet. Can I get a full Boston Butt as well as a whole brisket separately on the 18? I'm trying to save the $100 and see if I can live with the 18. Thanks for the input. Erik

Yes you can easily get both on the 18.5. Boston Butts in Club stores come as a two pack. You can get both on one level plus you have a whole 'nuther level to get other meats. In addition, Old Dave has a set-up that allows you to attach another grate to add a 3rd level.

Howard

You can easily get two Boston Butts and a whole brisket on the 18 1/2" WSM at the same time. I've done it. I don't ever cook for enough people to justify owning the 22" WSM. You can get two briskets or 4-6 pork butts or 6 chickens or 8 racks of St. Louis cut ribs on the 18 1/2". Do you need more capacity than that?

I would go for the 18.5". I've cooked for more than five on my 18.5" with no problem. I've not done briskets yet, but I can easily fit 7-10 slabs of ribs on my WSM at the same time. My rib rack really helps with that, though.

I've easily got two Boston Butts on the top grate with room to spare, and didn't use the lower grate.

If you're interested in saving money, and from your post, it sounds like you are, (who isn't, these days?) the 18.5" is the way to go. Not only is it initially cheaper, you'll save cost on fuel, as it takes (typically) less charcoal to run than the 22" does.

Erik, as others have said you'll have plenty of capacity on the 18".

The cost savings on fuel and physical space savings are a plus to me. Oh yeah - and saving the $100.
icon_smile.gif

I have both the 18 and the 22. Doing three racks of ribs on the 18, I have to use a rib rack or roll them. I did three racks of ribs this weekend on the 22 and laid them flat on the top grill. I could have put on a another flat rack by cutting ait in half.

I would love to have the 22 but I would say that the 18 is perfect for me. I have successfully cooked for 25 people on several occasions on the 18. I do have a third rack set up in it though. It also depends on what you want to cook if you need to cook for large groups, but you could cook enough of anything for a family of 5 and a couple friends on the 18.

I have one of each and the two nice things about the 22 are the ability to cook whole racks of spares (I trim them St Louis style) and larger briskets.

The 18 is a great cooker. It is much cheaper to operate as it is more fuel efficient.

I love my 22 but the 18 will still get the majority of my use except for my higher capacity cooks. on the 18 i can cook 4 shoulders, 8 racks of baby backs (rolled up) 6 racks of spares (but not room for all the tips after triming to St louis trim) or 2 briskets (but I have had to trim the ends off to get them to fit occasionally.

I haven't pushed my 22 to see what I can fit yet but if I could find a new rib rack that had more slots I imaging I could double the racks of spare ribs. and do 8 shoulders and a whole lot of baby backs.

So it really comes down to how do you see your usage???

i havent bought a 22" yet but i am probably going to end of the month. i have often wished i had a larger one the 18 just seems small when i am trying to stuff it with briskets chickens and ribs.

when i do get mine i am just going to use the smaller 18" coal ring in it.

Erik - yes you can just live with the 18. For awhile. 5 or 6 years ago I bought my first one. Then needed to add a second. Pretty soon your kids are going to love your Q and wait til relatives and friends start wanting some too. I sold one of the 18's when I purchased R4D4 (the 22). Now I find myself just using the 22. Need to force myself to put the 18 back in service before the "yuckies" start forming inside. Just last Sunday I did wings on the 22 and was able to spread out only on the top rack. Would have needed both racks with the 18. And as to fuel consumption using an 18 fire ring you'll go through little or no more fuel.

Dan

Back