Smoked Lemon Herb Boneless Turkey Roast

My girlfriend is a chef and was recently at a food show where she aquired an eight pound boneless turkey roast. The directions on the bag were to prick holes in the plastic bag it came in then oven roast accordingly..... I wanted to smoke it!!

I pieced together what I could and was blown away how the product came out. When sliced at the end it appears like neapolitan (for lack of a better word) turkey because of the white and brown meat, with the marinate flavors stuffed in between.

Here is what I did

Marinate and baste

Juice from 10 lemons
Zest from 1 lemon
1/2 sauteed yellow onion
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tbl sea salt
4 cloves garlic
1 cup chicken stock
A nice bunch of fresh sage, tarragon and rosemary chopped
a little groung pepper
dash of white wine

-Combine in a sauce pan bring to a boil for several minutes to infuse the herb flavor
-Reserve some of the marinate to the side for baste and mopping... add some vegtable oil to this portion
-Marinate the turkey for two hours
-Stuff the turkey into butchers netting, be careful as it is easy to shred the turkey with the netting which is bad for appearance
-Make an indirect fire 270-300 degrees
-I smoked it with pecan and maple for mild smoke flavor
-Baste liberally with the reserved mop whenever you open the lid
-Cook to 160 degrees pull the meat and wrap it in foil for half an hour off the heat or until the internal temp is over 170.
-Enjoy, I hope you like it as much as my party did!!

Note: I am not sure how available a whole boneless turkey is but next time I will probably buy leg and thighs and combine it with breast for a similar effect.

Back