Marinade brush and mop question

Dale Nichols

TVWBB Super Fan
I have been using the 2 inch boar bristle brush for years. And pitching them when they get where they don't clean up well after awhile. I was wondering what the new big wave is these days. What do you use and where do you get it?

Not sure if it is a big wave but I've noticed silicone brushes being used. I have been using the pastry and long handle versions of the OXO brand. The flap inside the bristles does a good job holding liquids. Some folks are using more colorful brushes that have a black handle with red bristles. All I know about these is to not buy the cheapies as they are too flimsy to do the job. I got the OXO brushes several months ago by using the Amazon link that is near the top of each tvwbb page. Going through the link helps to support the cost of operating this site at no additional cost to you.

Hopefully those with more experience will join in with their suggestions.

X2 on the Oxo one. I picked it up at BB&B awhile back and it has held up well. It's the one with a metal handle and red bristles and cleans up easily in the DW. I bought 3 packs of the ones with plastic handles and thin blue bristles at the dollar store and those shortly got tossed in the trash.
Weber also makes one with an offset handle, which looks good but I never tried it.
I don't mop as much as I used to, but for glazes, sauces and marinades I like it.

Tim

That is what I wanted to know. I almost ordered a silicone brush and silicone mop yesterday but thought I would get some feed back here before I wasted my money. The flap inside the bristles or hollow bristles I have read about but did not know if they really work. Thank you for your reply.

I did not mean to write marinade brush in my title. Maybe basting brush would have been correct.

I always thought those old paintbrushes and string mops were gross and since I got my first silicone brush , I haven't looked back. They clean up perfectly and don't retain any oil or taste. I have a couple of short handled OXO ones from BB&B that I use inside and a long handled one for the grill. I will never go back to the paintbrushes or string mops.

Yeah Frank that is what I am talking about. I joined here in 2003 and all my stuff was from back then. Taylor thermometer was the big deal,the system with the fan as not out yet ect..

All this new stuff is fun I am sure.

Yes on the silicone for mopping. Especially like it for a wing cook. I'm not sure of the brand I have but the bristles are clear so I can tell for sure when it's clean. No complaints.

Yep, one more vote for silicone brushes. They hold a decent amount of sauce and are effortless to clean up. If you happen to let gunk dry in them, just leave them sitting in a glass of water for a while until the gunk loosens up.

Back