Coleslaw for pulled pork sandwiches

Elsie D.

TVWBB Fan
I am on tap to bring coleslaw for pulled pork sandwiches for a family gathering on Saturday. I have been trying to find a recipe and so far have found one in The Barbecue Bible (Raichlen). It is for a North Carolina Style Coleslaw - no mayo. Is this sort of coleslaw the best for pulled pork sandwiches? The folks doing the pulled pork will be serving it with a tomato based bbq sauce purchased from Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Syracuse.

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Elsie,
Give this recipe a try. It can be found on a couple BBQ sites as "Harbormaster cole slaw". Someone I sent it to must have posted it, and it's gotten around.

Head of cabbage about 1 1/2 lb
1/4 C Cider vinegar
1 T granulated sugar
1 t celery seed
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t black pepper
3/4 cup mayo
1 T Dijon mustard (Grey Poupon is best)

Core and thinly slice the cabbage.
Mix all other ingredients together
Mix cabbage and dressing, tossing to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least an hour.

This is what I make. It comes from the Smoke & Spice cookbook and it's always a hit

Creamy Coleslaw

1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
1 medium head cabbage, grated
2 to 3 carrots, grated

Serves 6 to 8

In a lidded jar, shake together the half-and-half, sugar, vinegar, mayonnaise, garlic, and salt until well blended. Place the cabbage and carrots in a large bowl, pour the dressing over the vegetables, and toss together. Chill the slaw for at least 1 hour. It keeps well for several days.

I like this one (it's Emeril's):

Horseradish Coleslaw

5 cups shredded green cabbage
5 cups shredded red cabbage
2 cups shredded carrots
1/4 cup finely sliced green onions
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish or 6 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon Creole mustard or other coarse-grained mustard

In a large mixing bowl, combine the green and red cabbages, carrots, and green onions. In a small bowl, toss the cubed apples with the lemon juice and add to the cabbage mixture.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the seasoned vinegar mixture over the cabbage mixture and toss to thoroughly combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, and mustard and stir to combine. Add to the coleslaw and toss to combine thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight before serving.

Thank you for posting your recipes. The coleslaw was for last weekend and I ended up making Clark's. We enjoyed it very much - the onky change I made was to add a bit more cider vinegar. I'm going to file the other recipes in my "to try" file and will give them a shot next time i make colesalw.

Thank you.

Back