New Mini Build

Chris NV

Got another post fer a new mini smoker!!

Of course I used all the info from here and started.

Haven't received the SJG yet but will update when it comes. There's a guy that used a Steelers decal and I'm going to use the same one just going to keep the bottom unpainted. Just weird about paint chipping off into the fire. (Over cautious I guess).

Used 1/4 stainless steel bolts, nuts and caps
Used the steamer insert and cut extra holes
Found a nice 10 inch diffuser that fits perfect in the steamer basket (stainless)
Ordered another grill grate for the lip above the basket (still on its way)
Used the lamp trick I see most are using for my maverick

Bolts are 5 inches down so I should have enough room for 2 butts if needed

I have pictures but don't know how to post them.

Last edited:
Will do Robert thanks.

Got the gold today and it really is amazing how we'll it all fits together

I'm thinking baby backs and short ribs to start out. A friend sent me some "rendezvous" rub straight out of Memphis, TN. So I'll be excited to see how they turn out.

It's 40 Deg here in LV was wondering how this little guy fairs in the cold?

Will do Robert thanks.

Got the gold today and it really is amazing how we'll it all fits together

I'm thinking baby backs and short ribs to start out. A friend sent me some "rendezvous" rub straight out of Memphis, TN. So I'll be excited to see how they turn out.

It's 40 Deg here in LV was wondering how this little guy fairs in the cold?

40 Deg isn't cold, that's balmy springtime weather! ;-) (It's -9 here tonight, actual temperature)
I only did a couple of cold weather cooks on mine before fitting it with the fan-driven automatic temperature control, but even without that I had no problem with holding temps at 225-250 for Pork Butt or with holding 350-ish for chicken even in temps down to the low 30's. I had to open my lower vents just a little more than normal and was obviously burning a bit more fuel to keep those temps as evidenced by having to re-fuel midway through the pulled pork cooks, but that little sucker just seemed to do great. (The temperature controller is mostly for "geek value" - I definitely didn't NEED it to get great results from the mini, I just really wanted my cooker on the web.)

Haha. Yeah I shouldn't complain with -9. I can barley count that far back.

One quick question about the paint. I'm using VHT because I've read such good results. After I perp, etch primer, black, then clear coat when is the best time to put in the oven?

Right away or wait 7 days?

I'll have to defer to others on that one - I opted to leave my steamer pot bare aluminum, as I like that look.

Haha. Yeah I shouldn't complain with -9. I can barley count that far back.

One quick question about the paint. I'm using VHT because I've read such good results. After I perp, etch primer, black, then clear coat when is the best time to put in the oven?

Right away or wait 7 days?

Back