Deconstruction of Penzey's Southwest seasoning?

Matt A 3

TVWBB Member
I'm trying to create a southwestern-style rub. I like the Penzey's Southwest Seasoning and ideally would like to start there and experiment a little.

Does anyone have a recipe that is very close to this rub?

Thanks,
Matt

I don't buy blends so have no idea what it tastes like, but using the list of ingredients from their website I can tell you what I would do anyway.

The ingredients from their site: salt, sweet ancho pepper, onion, garlic, Mexican oregano, Tellicherry black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, sweet paprika, chipotle pepper and cilantro.

Skipping the salt (I never put salt in rubs -- I salt the meat first, separately, which allows me use as much or as little rub as I want without affecting the salt level), and skipping the superfluous (the paprika, utterly lost here; the cilantro, which is horrible dried and pointless, imo, here), I'd start with:

3 T ancho

2 T granulated onion

1.5 T granulated garlic

1 T Mexican oregano

2 t ground Tellicherry pepper

1 t chipotle

.75 t cumin

.25-.5 t cayenne

T = tablespoon t = teaspoon

I'd likely add .5 t rubbed sage to this

Mix well then scoop a little out with your finger. Top with a tiny bit of salt then taste; adjust from there.

Kevin, thanks so much. This will be a great start I'm sure. I'll let you know what I ended up with.

Cheers,
Matt

I've used this with some success:

1 chipotle
1/2 ancho
1 cumin
1 coriander
2/3 black pepper
2/3 salt

works great on brined poultry and tuna steaks. be sure to serve with chipotle mayo.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still experimenting but will eventually post what I ended up with.
Cheers,
Matt

Back