Recommendations for a good smoker thermometer

Jo Torez

TVWBB Super Fan
Good morning!

Any recommendations for a good smoker thermometer? I currently have the older version of the redi check. I also have the temp gauge on the 22" wsm. I'd like to look for something better bc the redi check is about 10-15 degrees off from the boiling water test.

With Christmas coming...I'm thinking I should invest in a BBQ guru. do you think that the BBQ guru is accurate? And will it elimate my troubles with trying to regulate the wsm?

All opinions are appreciated! Thank you in advance!

I pretty much ignore the temperature gauge on my Weber. I use the Maverick 732 and am extremely happy with it. Before I take any meat off the smoker or grill I check with my Thermapen - that's my final arbiter. If you don't want to spring for the rather expensive Thermapen, then this is a viable alternative:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

I bought one for a gift and it is an excellent therm - it takes six seconds for a reading vs. three seconds for the thermapen (not a problem) and is the low cost alternative suggested by Cook's Country. It is $19.00 + shipping compared to nearly $100.00 for the Thermapen.

FWIW
Dale53

do you think that the BBQ guru is accurate? And will it elimate my troubles with trying to regulate the wsm?

I do think the Guru is accurate +/- 1*F or so. Though I am not sure it can eliminate troubles trying to regulate the wsm. As far a recommendation I like the Maverick products. Thermoworks is very accurate. I believe Tel-Tru is accurate. And I've had a fun time with the iGrill which is pretty accurate as well.

What troubles are you having trying to regulate the WSM? I'd like to try to help.

Have you read this: http://virtualweberbullet.com/measuretemp.html#differential

Last edited:
The thermometer that you see in the pic is a maverick 73. ( the cheaper one I got as a gift).

I have the 22" wsm and am cooking a 8lb brisket that was sold in a cryovack. I was supposed to do this for turkey day but I was skiddish bc of the time involved.
I started it up by loading the chamber with kbb and pecan (it's all I had)with a cut progresso soup can in the middle for my minion method. It took a good hour for the dial on the smoker to show 210. At that point I put the maverick in and it showed 235. Ok so I put the meat on (brisket, it's my first one seasoned only with Worcester and Montreal I'm keeping it simple) the temp probe that is in the meat right now is showing 197 which is not possible bc I put the meat on from the fridge an hour ago.
So basically am I cooking the brisket right now at 210ish (wsm) or 262(maverick et73)

I do also have a thermopen which I will test later.

Thank you for your help!

I recommend switching the probe plugs on the sending unit from the pit temp to the food temp and from the food temp to the pit temp to see if the readings are the same. If they are I suspect a probe issue. If not I suspect a sending/receiving unit issue.

Also, I recommend you move the food temp probe in the meat to see if the error persists. Ensure your food probe is centered in the cut of meat and not pushed thru to the edge basically measuring pit temp.

I hope this helps.

I think you may have a bad food probe.

Incidentally, I have a small pork roast on right now and my Mav ET-732 is showing pit temp 241*F but my smoker dial is barely 200*F. I go with the Mav.

Yes I think it's time for me to upgrade to the 732. I'm actually dissaponted at wsm thermometer. When I called weber they swore up and down that the thermometer was accurate.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Back